The little vermin have some sort of a Ho Chi Minh trail in the wall behind the dishwasher. Then they squeeze into the front door of the dishwasher and traipse around in there for a while. When the dishwasher door is open they can get inside it and have snackie-poos. Because the front panel of my dishwasher is maimed I guess my cats can hear/see/smell the little b*stards in there and I frequently have four cats sitting around staring at my dishwasher like it's the finale of American Idol or something.

How do I get rid of a mouse I can't see?

Mouse trap baited with Crack, uh, I mean peanut butter.

I don't know where to put the trap since they're not in the house, technically? There's no room to fit a trap in there, and poison's out of the question since I have cats.

When they are in there slam the door and start the cycle!!

My thoughts exactly! That'll learn 'em!

Remove the bottom basket and place the trap in there.. Other wise place a few in other locations. I would try under the kitchen sink for one...

Bottom basket? Can you specify? It has a smaller panel under the big door panel in the front.
They just zip out through the door hole and back into the wall when I turn it on.

Look for the gothic arch in your woodwork and plug it up

put out some instant potatoe flakes and a source of water - they'll dine on both, the flakes will "inflate" in their tiny bellies and the mouse will rip apart from the inside

Eeeeewwwwww.
Do I need to serve gravy as well?

now that's just plain cruel

ever see the Python sketch about sheep in the wainscotting?

I like turning on the dishwasher myself...

They make cruelty free mouse traps you can bait with peanut butter if you want to go the other route. Can't you move the dishwasher and find the hole? (s)?Or are they coming in through a crack in the baseboards or something?

Call the police. People around here do. They would never think to resolve a problem themselves.

Must be useless cats. My cats all gather in front of the refrigerator. That seems to be where the mice like to congregate. So I set a game camera on the floor to see what the action is after I've gone to bed. I have some great videos of a mouse peeking out from the evaporator fins looking for the cats. Then running out to snatch seeds from under the parrots' cage. They even climb up the cage to scrounge off the bottom. Once we saw a flash of something that turned out to be a flying squirrel when I transferred the video to a computer program so I could go frame by frame. I live in a 225 year old colonial house so there are plenty of places for them to come in to get out of the cold winter. Having a constant food supply courtesy of the parrot helps too. The cat catches one quite often. He ate his first but apparently didn't like the taste because he's never done that again. We just find the bodies on the floor.