Hi everyone. I have several cats and I like to think that I know pretty much everything that has to do with their health. My family always had cats, ever since I was little. My mom loved them and we would always have at least three of them indoor and a couple of them in the yard. I can’t remember when was the last time I needed a vet to solve some cat related health issue. But now, I feel powerless. My oldest cat seems very depressed. Can you please tell me what can I do to make her feel better? I tried everything.

You need to cheer her up by playing with her. 

My cat was depressed last year in October. I remember I tried everything to change her mood. I was buying her her favorite treats, I took her to places she always liked to visit before but she was still indifferent. 

She refused to cuddle and every time I tried to pick her in my arms she would get aggressive. 

The only thing that helped was playing with her. It was pretty hard to make her play with me at the beginning, but I’ve succeeded to wake up her hunting instinct. Play that card. 

You definitely need to cheer your cat up. Older cats tend to be depressed more than kittens. But, there is always a way to cheer them up. Of course, playing with her is the best option but you also need to spend more time with her. Play with your cat every single day, even if she is not so interested to play. You don’t want your cat to be antisocial right? I think that cats need as much attention as dogs. Once, when my cat was depressed, I bought laser mice toy to her.  I just can’t describe you how thrilled she was :)

Yeah, cat depression is abnormal behavior which your cat shows, she is changing her daily activate behavior, but I think that depression in cats is not very common, but it can happen. There are so many ways to do when your cat is depressed. Actually, depression is associated with very poor cat immune system, and you have to notice this, especially because distressed immune system can be the main cause to other illnesses. About the things that you can do, you can buy some new toys for your cat, something that you think that she will love. Also, if you are for it, you can buy a new pet. If you are against having a new pet, I suggest you to make something in your yard, that will make her play even when you are not there. There are so many ways. 

Hello, My cat was very depressed, and the main reason was old-fashioned toys, old – fashioned plays and pretty much boring life. She is 4 and a half years old. I was thinking that having cat is totally enough, for both of us. What a mistake! I was so selfish: / when I noticed that my cat started to “hate me”, I needed to do something about that. First, I went on holidays with her – just two of us. I gave her all my time, and I just can’t describe you how happy she was. When we came back home, I gave her isolated space to be alone. I think that she needed that as well. I know that some cats love routine and they need some space, where they can feel comfortable and happy. Also, I bought a bunch of new toys for her - a lot of variety of fun, engaging toys. Now, we are spending more time together, and I can see that she is happier.

For example, last time when I noticed she was feeling a bit down, I built a cat house which consisted of several passages that lead to the top of my closet. I know she enjoys climbing on those high places in the house and observing the situation from up there, many cats do. That’s why I gave her that.

At first she was reluctant, she didn’t want to go through the passages since they were very small and narrow, but once she climbed up the passage for the first time, I couldn’t take her out of it anymore. She really enjoy it and she stopped being depressed very soon.

That’s a great idea. My cat loves to be on some high place in the house too and watch everything from up there.
We have a bookshelf in our living room. She used to jump up there and knock down all the books so my mother decided to remove the books so she can climb up there whenever she wants. We often forget she is there and search her around the house. Sometimes she seems like she is enjoying that. :)
Anyway, I think that building a cat house or any other entertainment is a good idea. Your goal should be to entertain her.

I think that it’s a great idea to wake up the cat’s hunting instinct. You can take a rope and attach some plastic mouse to it.  The mouse can be on wheels and you can run with it around the house. You can also attach some little treat so the cat gets attracted by the smell.

And try to make her diet a bit fun till she gets better. Include more treats than you usually would.

I used to buy my cat these little cookies made out of chicken meat when she was depressed. She is always in a better mood when she sees them.