I have 2 cats. One is a twelve year old female tabby and the other is a 3 year old female calico. They are both spayed and have co-existed nicely for the past 2 and a half years. They have had no problems using the same litter box all this time.
Every nite as i shut down the house, scooping the litter box is on the list od to-do's. I scoop the box, sweep up any bits of litter that may have flew out of the box and wash and refill the water dish. This is a gimme every single nite without fail.
Within the last 2 months, the calico has decided to pee on the mat in front of the toilet. While this one goes into the washer, she then decides to pee on the bath mat, and again as this goes in the machine, she pees on the mat in front of the bathroom sink.
This happens at least 3 times a week.
I don't understand. She gets a lot of attention, she is not jealous of the other cat, her health is fine, the box is never full to where there is no room, and she basically does what ever she wants.
I scrub the spot where she has peed with bleach and i spray it with "Cat Away" and she still goes there, and only there. She will poop in the box tho.

Can you think of any odor the cat detests, then rub it on the mat? I have'nt had a cat in a long time, so I can't remember if they sniff first, but with my dogs, I sprinkle black or white pepper where they like to soil. -Wendy

She may have suddenly decided that she no longer wants to share a litter box. Or has the litter pan itself developed a strong odor? My cat did this outside-the-box peeing (and pooping) thing for a while when I stopped washing down the box itself. Now I make sure to change out the litter like usual, but to scrub out the box each time as well.

I used black pepper as a deterrent until I figured out the problem. I've heard that putting down aluminum foil over the places they like to pee helps.

I think i figured it out. For the last month or so after changing the box, i would sprinkle baking soda in it. With the warmer weather here i was just trying to absorb more of the odor. Tho the box is scooped every single nite and totally emptied out once a week and scrubbed down, i still made me feel better to add some extra protection.
The other day i emptied the box, scrubbed it out and refilled it with fresh litter, no baking soda.
She has not done any of her business out side of the box since. I betcha she didn't like the baking soda!!

Wow interesting stuff. I would never imagine that cat wouldn't like baking soda. What about other cat? As I can see she didn't mind it. It's interesting, they live together all of their life and nothing like happened (or it has?). Have you tried to put something else besides baking soda?

I know, but at least i think i found the reason why she wouldn't pee in her box. It does not bother my "old lady" cat at all. I have never used anything other than Scoop Away, i don't line the box with a pan liner, the box is not close to her food, she has no distractions or an audience watching her when she is trying to go potty, her potty area is quiet, nothing at all to distract her. It's gotta be the baking soda, that's the only thing left.

Well try it. Just don't put baking soda for few days, wait and see. Maybe she will need few days to get used to it again. Really interesting thing. Post how the story will end. I'm really interested.

AnonLexaproGal wrote:

So just to be clear, your cat is now peeing back in the box? I just want to make sure that you're not still having the problem because it sounded like you're still dealing with it.

Nope, it's all good, so far. I have not used baking soda with the last litter change and she is going straight to her box all the time.
I got brave today and put the bathroom rugs back on the floor, now we'll see. She favored the mat in front of the toilet and i find myself checking all the time. When i get up tomorrow morning that's obviously the first place i will visit, then we'll see.

Well was it all good? No spots on the rugs?
Have you considered putting something else besides baking soda?

Nice dry rug :-D
I decided i'm not gonna mess with it anymore. If it's not broke, leave it alone!!
I noticed that there is all kinds of pet deoderizers that you can put in the litter but she obviously doesn't like it. There really is no need for it anyway as i change it so much but i wanted a touch of extra protection because of the warm weather. Oh well, i learned my lesson.

@ healthnfitnessguy: She no longer goes outside the box (unless I forget to clean it out properly..... argh).

Hi bbfeet,
Maybe you can test some of deodorizers on her in some other way. Try to spray it on a small part of fabric and put it near her. If she stay near it then it's ok, if not, try another one. :-)

I think i'm done trying to mess with mother nature. She showed me that she won't have it, so she wins. Like i said, it's not all that important as the box is always scooped, i just wanted extra peace of mind. Her box is right off the kitchen that's why i was really trying to keep a nice smell in that area. You can't see it in plain view as we have a kitty door right in the bathroom door, so it is not in someones eye shot when they are sitting at the kitchen table.

AnonLexaproGal wrote:

I appreciate the tip. A friend of mine has been having a lot of trouble housebreaking her kitten and she's been cleaning it all up twice a week now and the kitten's much better behaved. What do you think makes cats do this? :lol: