and no, the answer is not skin them and make them into slippers...

how do you deter scratching on furniture? They are great about it except for the one piece of furniture I have 'on loan' from my parents. Its this old recliner that is really nice and the cats have scratched the c**p out of it. Any good ways to keep them from shredding it to the springs? :?

Do they have a scratching post? I don't have any other suggestions, we had ours declawed... :shrug:

We declawed Fluff as soon as he was old enough. We didn't want to have to deal with that.

declawing just seemed so mean, I couldn't do it. :( I'm such a softy.

I have used 'soft paws' which are little plastic caps on their claws. I just sort of let that go for a while, I guess I need to start that over again.

Fluffy has since become an outdoor cat, and we are questioning our decision because of it, but we didn't think anything of declawing him. Its done humanely and he seems no worse for the wear

Do you wish they made little "freddy krueger" like adapters for when they are outside. Just to even the odds a little.

I never declawed my cats and they are pretty good about not scrathing the furniture. They know to use their scratching pads and not the furniture. I do clip their claws every other week (weekly for my boy cat--ha scratches the rug) to help cut down on the need to scratch. I could never declaw my cats and never had a cat that needed to be declawed. Seems cruel to me, too.

One trick my mom used on our cats was to splash water on the cats face when they did something they weren't supposed to. After a couple of times getting water in their face they wised up.

Mine have been really good about scratching as well. This is the first I've noticed of any destruction...they know this chair is a huge NO! and they like their scratching post. I think this has to do with me being gone all weekend. You know, parents were out of town, kids threw a party.... I just hope my mom never wants this chair back... :umno:

If she does want it back be sure to include a nice throw with it!

1. Make their scratching post more attractive by rubbing catnip in it.

2. Spray your couch with bitter orange/lemon or other "scat" products sold at your local pet store.

3. Spray them with a water gun everytime they are scratching where they're not supposed to.

4. Redirect with another toy or object to pull their attention away.

I've done 1, 3, and 4...I need #2! Petsmart, here I come! Thanks!
followed by a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond for a nice throw...

After posting and rereading, I realize I may have lost some serious dude points for talking about decorating with a throw. I just want to clarify this by saying, we got a great living room sit of furniture from my folks, however after accepting it we saw that their cats tore it apart up top from separation anxiety, they recommended covering it with a throw and it worked great! It wasn't my idea.

Now, how 'bout them packers!!!!

Thanks RB for PM-ing me exactly what colors and textures would work best with a throw both with the upholstery of the chair and my refined decorating style. I will definitely talk to your interior decorator friend here in Houston, after the work she did on your powder bath its a no brainer.
yours,
pfff
PS did you catch Oprah today? I cried....

yours,
pfff
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: 8O :umno: