Does the silverware go in the little basket thingy with the handles up or down?

Handles always up. Still gets just as clean, and there's less chance of a flesh wound on emptying.

Ditto. and never put knives in the dishwasher ( at least not the sharp ones!)
I am dishlexic, but occasionally I try to do better.

Handles down

Handles down
So you like to man-handle the business end of the utensils before you put them away?

Handles ALWAYS go down. That way the silverware can fan out and get supah clean. Particularly if your house is like Casa Elkid and the dishwasher usually only gets run when there are no forks or knives left. Sometimes the schmegma from the removed food crusticles doesn't go down the drain (you've seen this, I'm sure) - do you want to put the end of the silverware that touched THAT in your mouth? Didn't think so. Ditto to kristin's "no good knives in dishwasher" rule - it dulls them horribly.

:1:
Which is why Mrs. thegman doesn't load the dishwasher. I have scars to prove it.

They pretty much get tossed in there any old way. I am careful of the knives tho always put them down.

Like I said, I'm a dishwasher loading nightmare.. any which way, just so they're in. It's all about time.. fast, fasst, fast, load 'em up. :P

I mix handles up and down.....but that's just me...sorta mixed up

I'm not sure how they get in there...but my theory is that they fly outa the sink, and into the basket on their own....probably at night...or when I am at work. Of course..it could be my daughter too

Handles up except for knives. I don't want the tips getting caught in the bottom and breaking.

I don't know I watch how Pebbs washes the dishes next time. :?

Ohh you mean a dishwarshin machine like in the Beverly Hillbillies.

Handles up.