Hello. I have several cats and I take really good care of them. I don’t work because I’m about to have a baby, so I have a lot of spare time to deal with my cats. I cook meals for them and I try to play with them as much as I can. They’re very cheerful cats, but lately one of them seems a bit depressed. It’s been weeks since she started acting that way. I keep waiting for it to pass, but it keeps getting worse. She now refuses to eat. What should I do? What are treatment options for my depressed cat?

There are several ways on how you can make the things better.

You can do your own home treatment that includes playing with your cat, spending time with her, entertaining her… 

And if you are more interested in the meds, your cat will probably get a prescription for some antidepressants.  

Are you sure that the cat’s problem is not at all physical but mental? You know, sometimes cats have things bothering them physically. This affects their mood and that is why they seem depressed. You should check that. 

I’d recommend you to start with home treatment before you start with the meds.

Hello, depression is common in cats. I think that you don’t need to be worried, because this is something that you can treat very successfully. All you need to do is to pay more attention to your cat. First, you need to play with this cat more often, you need to find amazing way to entertain her, because cats are really playful and you need to play with your cat very, but very often. I would suggest you to buy some good, entertaining toy, such as mouse or some laser. I know that this can be fun as well. Personally, I think that you don’t need meds, because I really hope that this is not so dangerous. 

Hey there. I am new cat owner, but I had this problem at the beginning, when I adopted her. She was so depressed and that was the reason why I adopted her in the first place. I bought her bunch of toys, and she is playing with electric mouse. It is very funny for her. Also, I am spending a lot of time playing with her, I put her in my lap and I cuddle with her. She seems really happy, because she know that I am spending a lot of time playing with her, she knows that I give her my unconditional love. She also has her space in my home, where she can be alone when I am boring to her :)

My cat was depressed last year around May. It was very hard to watch her and since I don’t trust vets much (I’ve had some bad experiences in the past) I gave my best to cheer her up on my own. I tried everything you wrote above, but nothing worked.

I finally decided to take her to the vet hoping he will prescribe her some antidepressants, but when I came there he told me that it was nothing. He asked me if she’s an indoor cat, I said yes, and then he told me that she is probably just bored. No treatment whatsoever. And people ask me why I don’t trust vets.

I don’t think that the vet didn’t want to prescribe you antidepressants because he didn’t care. If he really didn’t care he would’ve said that you need those antidepressants and he would charge you for them.Sometimes, we think we know our pets better, and the truth is, vets have seen so many cases like that and they know exactly what our pets need.The vet probably has seen many cases similar to your cat and his experience tells him that the situation doesn’t require medication. He probably suggested some home treatment am I right?I avoid giving both my dog and my cat antidepressants. I usually can handle the situation without the meds.

Hey.

I am totally against antidepressants for a cat. I think that this is not necessary, because I think that here are so many ways to get your cat out of the depression.

My cats had a lot of problem with depression lately, and the only way that helped me get them out of this stage is playing with them, very often.

I bought them some toys, I spend a lot of time to entertain my cats, to play with them. I even made a little park in my yard for them :)

Depression is gone, happiness is there :)

No reason for the meds, trust me! 

I don’t agree that you should delay going to the vet and try to cheer her up at home. It’s very important to get the treatment as soon as possible cause cats who are depressed have lower immune system and they can get attacked by other illnesses. :/ 

The treatment you mentioned at home should consist of homeopathic remedies such as plants. You need to expose your cat to the sun/ day light, as much as you can. 

And if that doesn’t help your vet will prescribe you some mild  antidepressant. I heard that Prozac, Valium and Phenobarbital work for cats.