I am a 20 year old female. I have been having this chronic tight feeling in my stomach and I don't know what it is. It also seems to get worse when I eat. I went to both urgent care and my regular doctor and they both thought it was either acid reflux or a gallbladder issue. This all started about a month ago, I believe. At first, I would just get these very mild pains in my rib cage. They'd last a few seconds and then go away. The pain was never severe, but it kept persisting. Then after about a week I instead had the tightness in my stomach. I've gotten an ultrasound and they said that my gallbladder and other organs looked fine. I also had blood tests done at urgent care and they said they came back normal and apparently that ruled out some things (not sure what though). So my doctor assumed it's acid reflux. The urgent care doctor gave me omeprazole and I've been taking it for two weeks now.

But the thing is, I have never had any burning or "heartburn" type pain at all. I thought that was the main symptom of acid reflux. So is that really what this is? I'm just not so sure...and I'm worried that if that's not even what it is, then taking this medicine could be harmful. I did start to feel pretty much totally better after I started taking the medicine, but I have no way of knowing if the medicine was actually helping or not. I also stopped drinking caffeine and was really careful about what I ate during that time, so that could have been what was helping. The tight feeling disappeared, but it came back about 4 days ago and hasn't gone away since, even though I've continued to take the medicine. But I'll admit that once I started feeling better, I felt "free" so I started to drink caffeinated drinks again and wasn't quite as careful about what I was eating (I don't have an extremely bad diet though, and I don't constantly eat junk or anything). I wonder if that is what caused the feeling to come back. I've stopped drinking caffeine and am totally avoiding junk, fried, and fatty foods again to see if it will help. I also called my doctor again and she's scheduled for for some additional tests for my gallbladder now, which won't be until next Thursday.

Also, I have been really constipated during all of this. I don't know if the constipation itself is causing the stomach tightness, or if I have some condition that is causing both of them. I have struggled a bit with both constipation and diarrhea for several years though, and I've always wondered if I might have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I wasn't getting diarrhea or constipation ALL the time though, so I never got that worried about it. I'd mostly be constipated first thing in the morning or if I held it for too long (which was quite common since teachers these days never let kids use the bathroom, I had to hold it for a few hours a lot back when I was still in high school). I'd usually get bad abdominal pain and diarrhea when I was really stressed or nervous about something, but not all the time. But, I will occasionally get diarrhea for no reason, but it definitely doesn't happen more than once a month. But I've wondered that if I do have IBS, and I've had it all these years, could it be what my problem is now, and maybe it just reached it's peak? I have never had any of this stomach tightness before at all. So, I have no idea what to think- gallbladder, acid reflux, IBS, or some other gastrointestinal issue? Neither of the doctors even considered anything else though and assumed it was either acid reflux or my gallbladder. I'm really paranoid about health issues and I want to just figure out what this is...I worry that it's something serious, and am anxious about having to wait until Thursday to possibly get any answers...I even have irrational thoughts about something bad happening to me before Thursday. :(

Oh, and one other possible symptom I've had, that doesn't happen very often at all, but it has a few times- I really feel like I need to keep taking big breaths, but I often feel like I can't.  I will even start to yawn because it's sometimes the only way I feel like I'm getting enough air.  I've only really noticed it when I actually am thinking about my breathing.  I realize this could just be in my head, or it might just be due to me being so anxious and nervous over all that's happening, so I'm not sure if this is symptom or not.

Hey! Did you get any response or solution to this problem? It would be helpful for me if you could share. Thanks!

Hi, I also get all of these symtoms, and would be very interested to know how you got on/are getting on! I would find this very helpful! Thanks

I Have pressure and Pain The Only Thing That Helps Is Milk Of Magnesia I live On This Stuff, but it gets rid Of The Pressure and bloating (Elimination) and fore Most Part The Pain, yet ive had a year was great was normal go figure what a way to live, but i understand u, ive been to countless Doctors Had Gallbladder removed etc etc etc!!!, unless they can replace the stomach i guess im stuck, it sucks but goodluck......

This was over a year ago but if you're still looking for an answer or if someone else sees this: If you are female and experiencing these symptoms - GO TO YOUR GYNECOLOGIST. I thought I had gas but gas X wouldn't help. It turns out I have stage IV ovarian cancer. You don't have symptoms until stage IV and it's almost always feeling bloated. Ask them to run a CA125 blood test.