Beneath my breastbones there is a tightness that feels like it's choking me. It feels like a rope being tightened around the top part of my abdomen and won't let up. I haven't had any pain, nausea, or tenderness in that area. However this morning I woke up with diareha mixed with blood.

Hi, do you think there is any chance that a hiatal hernia combined with gastroesophageal reflux disease could be the cause of your tight stomach? It sounds like that might be possible, but you could also be dealing with something like gastritis. 

You do have several serious symptoms, namely feeling like choking and stool mixed with blood. Don't delay. Seek medical help NOW. If you have something more serious, you want to find out as soon as reasonably possible. Treatment for any medical condition is usually more effective the sooner you find it, especially if God forbid, you have something like cancer.

pj wrote:

I have been having the same feeling like a rope being tightened around my waist for 4 months now, I have not had any problems with diareha. Were you able to find out what is going on? I am desparate for answers.

I have the same tightness and this has been going on for a few months..any answers[/enc]

I have had the same feeling for 3 years with no relief from it. it is worse when i am standing and it feels like my stomach muscles are restricted when i am breathing which makes me breathless. i have had chest x rays, scans and test but nothing has shown up. my gp suggested it could be irritable bowel syndrome or anxiety but it seems to extreme to be something like that.

I have had the same tightness. I have literally described it as a feeling of someone tightening a rope around my upper abdomen - just under my breasts. The first time it happened to me i was 7 months pregnant so I rushed to the hospital and they treated me as if i had gas. The pain lasted for several hours with no letting up no matter what position i was in and then went away just as fast as it came. My daughter is now three months and tonight is the third time it has happened. Each time I am woken up in the middle of the night by the pain (which is odd for me because I could sleep throught almost anything). I told my mother about it and she said she has been having the same pain & the first time it started with her is when she was pregnant with me 30 years ago. She has been to a number of doctors and cannot get any answers. Her "attacks" only happen once every so often & she has not been able to link anything certain to the cause of them. These are so painful - I just want to know what this is. Does anyone have any answers?

i woke up this morning with on and off pains of a tightening in my upper stomach.. felt like something was swollen and tightening.. kind of like choking .. but in my stomach... its 715 in the evening now and this problem has not gone away or gotten any better. i called my mom to ask if she had any idea what this could be.. she asked if it felt like a twisting fist in your gut and i said yes... so she tells me i really need to get checked out for Crohn's disease.. this is something she has and my sister as well. so.. maybe those of you who still have not received any answers can get checked for this as well.. no matter what i hope you can all get relief from this pain!

Hey guys i was suffering from this and it turned out to be gallstones so if your feeling this kind of pain id get it checked out, i ended up needing surgery to remove my gallbladder. Now i don't have anymore pain =]

I have had the same abdominal tightness for nearly three months which I described as wearing a corset on the inside! This coinsided with servere constipation that I had never had before in my life.Knowing that I have a yeast problem I took myself off to a nutritional therapist for a food sensitivity test and sure enough my poor old guts were struggling to digest many different foods. Am now on my fith week of strict diet eliminating those foods [ more exspensive and time consuming but you just have to get creativre with it ] and have had two colonic hydrotherapy sessions....the tightness is slowly decreasing. It has cost more money than I really had spare,but my Doctor was offering painkillers and antibiotics and a possible diagnosis of IBS and I was feeling desperate. I have also met some very nice professionals running independant health food shops that are keen to give geniune advice on supplements to help mend leaky and or inflamed guts. There is masses of information on the net and lots of help and more and more people suffering from this and related symptoms as we really begin to reep the consequenses of the food industry and all its wonders. [ this is not a critisism or judgement...its just the way things are ] So good luck to you all with your research and healing.

This also happened to me 1 month after i gave birth to my son. I went to the hospital and the doctor said it was muscle inflammtion around that area so he sent me home. It happened to me again the next day and i went to the hospital again coz i could'nt take the pain and i saw a different doctor, so he got me to do a blood test and a chest x-ray and nothing came up. He told me to take some pain killers and he sent me home. The pain would come and go and it finally stopped for about 6 months now and it happened to me again 3 days ago and sometimes i can feel a tiny bit of pain. I will be going to the doctors tommorrow to have different tests done because it is really frustrating not knowing what it is and it can happen anytime and anywhere.

Guest wrote:

Hi, I just read your post looking for answers myself. This sounds very similar to what I have been experiencing the last few years. The last 6 months it has worsened, it is only my left side, but it stems from the base of my neck to my groin which includes my left arm which often goes numb. I've had heaps of tests of the years and are going through more now. I wondered if you were still going through the symptoms you mentioned, if they have increased or if you have finally found your cause???
Cheers
Maryann

A friend of mine said to me that the egg could b stuck in the felopion tube thats causing pain and meaning your pregnant, but im not quit sure. Theres so many different things.

Hey i have had the same thing but only for 5 days or so.for 3 days in a row i had pain just at night and it woke me up. on the third night it was really bad pain that i balled my eyes out and didnt know wat to do. so rang my mum and dad and dad came over and gave me some Mylanta which helped, its for heart burn, intergestion and antacid. My dad thinks its a stomach olsa. but im not sure. Went to the doctors she pressed on my tummy and said its not gorestones and that i was abit constapated but the constapation has gone now. it doesnt hurt as much if i stretch my stomach. so i havent got a proper diagnosis yet but hopefully it goes away. sorry for the essay lol . Is that what youve got? the same pain and symptoms as me.

Hi was reading ur msg and thought that u should get an altrasound done and see what comes up then. when i stretch my stomach it makes the pain feel better. My dad thinks i have a stomach olsa. but my gp hasnt done anything for my pain but give me some tablets to take for 2 weeks, she said if i still have pain after the 2 weeks that i will get tests done, altrasound and blood tests etc. It could b couple of things like IBS irratle bawl syndrome, stomach olsa or could even have something to do with my liver cos the pain tends to go to the left side. hopefully i will find out exactly wat it is.

Try having ultrasound on your gallbladder