Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!

Hi, since my little girl was born I have difficulties to make her drink milk. Sometimes she accepted to drink a little but very often she refused it totally. My efforts to make her drink some milk were literally struggle. Lately I started to give her chocolate milk and miracle happened! She didn't refuse it at all; on the contrary she is drinking every day more and more of chocolate milk. Now I am worried if it is too much chocolate milk and are there any bad sides. My husband says to let her drink as much as she wants but I am not so sure that is right.

Loading...

Hi, I have to tell you that your husband is wrong and your doubts are right. Although milk is an important drink and an easy way for your child to get calcium and Vitamin D, it is usually best to encourage your kids to drink plain white milk. If you decide to give chocolate mile to your child because you see that she likes it, you are making great mistake as you are giving your baby extra calories which she don't need. You will make fat baby of her and besides that she won't get enough other quality things she need. It may be difficult to make your baby not to take chocolate milk but there are many other things which may replace chocolate milk and are healthier than it.
Reply

Loading...

i drink a LOT of milk and i have been told that this can affect my breathing. is this true and how does it affect breathing?
Reply

Loading...

Why dont you try mixing white milk and chocolate milk?

Start with half and half in a cup, and then try to cut down to 1/4 chocolate milk - and try adding less and less chocolate and see if you can get her to take the white milk from there. If not, I dont see any harm in adding a wee splash of chocolate milk to her cup.

Really, as long as the rest of her diet is healthy and chocolate milk isint her only beverage for the day - I dont see this as being something that will make her fat. Yes there are more calories in chocolate milk, yes there are more things added into it - but I think in moderation she will be fine.
Reply

Loading...

I agree with Guests suggestion about trying to mix them half and half. You can also get many chocolate milkshake "powders" that have to be mixed with cows milk rather than ready mixed bottles of chocolate milk. I have found these are healthier for my son, who also loves his chocolate milk witha major passion, as i can control the ratio of chocolate powder to milk and make it weaker so i know he is getting a good helping of milk.

I would also suggest that as long as you are not only offering chocolate milk as a drink that it should be that big a deal at all. Try giving chocolate milk with meals and at all other times if your child asks for a drink give them plain water. They may refuse it at first but if they are thirsty and it is all that is available they will drink it and get to like it. You jut have to be firm and do not give in and offer an alternative if your child has a tantrum or they will do this everytime knowing they can get around you in this way.

Also i presume your main concern is making sure your child is getting enough calcium in their diet, calcium can also be found in yoghurts and cheese. Try offering cut up cubes of cheese as an accompanyment to a meal rather than chips etc, my sons favourite meal used to be chickn nuggests and cubes of cheese! Also get in plenty of fromage frais yoghurts, the ones without bits in!, and give one as desert after each meal. At least that way you do not have to worry about the calcium so much.

And above all i would suggest if you are really struggling to get milk into the diet at the moment, give in and try again in a few months. childrens tastes change all the time and its not worth worrying over too much. Give your child diluted juice or water instead. DO NOT ever give fizzy pops at all, even as a treat as it will ruin a child's diet and teeth.

Good luck i hope this helps.
Reply

Loading...

Above mentions not giving soda, yet chocolate milk has more sugar than soda.

I cannot imagine giving chocolate milk to a young child on a regular basis. Bad move.
Reply

Loading...

You don't want her to drink too much milk in the day, because you have to regulate it and allow for water intake.  I had the same problem with my toddler and was told by his doctor that adding flavor to the milk is better than him not drinking any milk.  Studies have been done to show that children and toddlers drinking milk, whether flavored or not, have a lower BMI than those that do not drink milk.  Don't worry about your toddler getting fat, which is a ridiculous thing to worry about in contrast with them not getting the nutrients they need, because they run and burn the calories they consume.  My son is in perfect health, and not overweight at all, and he drinks about 3 cups of flavored milk a day.  I would recommend trying to give her ovaltine in place of the chocolate for the added nutrients, but you are doing fine.  It is better to have her drink flavored milk than none at all.

Reply

Loading...


My step granddaughter seems to drink a lot of chocolate milk in fact she sips on it all day long and today she has thrush!
Reply

Loading...

yes it can affect your breathing if you drink too much chocolate milk
Reply

Loading...