Hi everybody,

I've been searching for hours regarding this topic, but I don't seem to find a posting anywhere that exactly describes my situation, and the ones that kind of do, either don't have an answer or have an answer for something similar, but not exactly what was asked.

I have these dark lines on right thumb. They are very faint, not dark, dark like those described for melanoma, and they are not splinter hemorrhages. They go from the base to the tip, but they don't really seem to be going under the cuticle. They almost look like I drew a line on my nail with a black sharpie, and then, erased it, but the stain stayed behind. You know what I mean? I have wide line on the corner of the thumbnail and two thin lines on the center. Now, another band is starting to show up on my index fingernail next to that thumb. I'm a very healthy individual, and I don't know why this is happening.

When reading forum posts, I kind of freak out because everybody talks about cancer and melanoma, but they do so within the context of really dark/black lines on the nail, which is not the case for me.

Could someone help me?

Are the lines horizontal or are they vertical? If they are horizontal, are there signs that they might grow out, like they are getting closer to the top of the nail than bottom? I know there are scary reasons why some change on fingernails can appear, but there are far more chances that these lines are caused by some sort of an infection caused by bacteria, fungi and or viruses. Also, very common reason for lines on fingernails is malnutrition in a sense that you lack specific vitamin or mineral. Also, being exposed to some toxic substance can cause this. Either way, doctor will be able to find out this from basic blood tests and treat it.

Thank you for your response, nickols. They are vertical, and they go all the way to the tip of the nail. I'm hoping it's nothing bad. I don't have medical insurance, as my employer doesn't provide one and buying one on my own is way too expensive for my finances. The cheap ones have like a billion dollar deductible. Anyway, thank you so much, and any other help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have the same thing on my left thumb nail.  A doctor told me it could be a mole in the bed of the nail.  It has gotten lighter in the past three years.  Now I have developed horizontal ridges on several nails. 

I have the lines too and there are no answers? I am 35 and have had them since my early twenties. I am so tired of painting my nails to hide the lines!

Hi there,

I have developed lines in my nails while I was pregnant and they darkened even further. to the point that it looked like a sharpie too.  after the birth...and 5 years later, they are faint but still won't go away and both my pinkie toes are dark now.  My mother has it too but we don't know why...?  weird.

This had happen to me years ago. I was not overly concerned about it. Went to Doctor for another concern and just mentioned it. She did a blood test to check my thyroid, TSH levels. Found out I have Graves Disease.

I seem to having the exact same issue as mentioned by kymoon. Faint bands forming on multiple fingers, some thin & some relatively thicker (but not dark). Its freaking me out and I am in dilemma whether to have this checked out or not!

If anyone has any further suggestions or diagnosis, i would really appreciate if you could post your experience.

Hi! I also have the same problem. I developed faint, almost brown lines on my hands and feet, some digits with multiple lines. I noticed them after my pregnancy 2 years ago. Some faded but the one on my foot (index finger), which is the thickest one, wont go away. I went to several doctors but they dont know what this is.

Hi..I have pretty much the sme thing even on my toes for about four years. i am pretty healthy now problems at age 62, bu the lines veriticle on my nails and a dark spot on the tip of my thumb  and a dork spot on the side of my left thumb I don't know what this is I am going to have it checked out.

I haven't had any nails ever but just under the tips I have a dark strip on almost all my fingers why?

I'm here because I google "very faint lines on nail" and I landed on this post. I visited the drs office today, a few weeks ago I noticed exactly what kymoon describes, on my left thumb. 2 lines to be exact, one thick the other one thinner. I thought it could be a stain but a couple of nights ago I saw they were still there and started examining the rests of my nails. I saw them in 3 other fingers. I decided to google it out of curiosity. I guess I googled the wrong thing (didn't specify "faint" like I did this time) and all I found was "melanoma" and "you need to be seen immediately" and I totally and completely freaked out. I made an appt and saw a dr today and was hoping to get a referral for a dermatologist, well she was very reassuring and said she didn't consider a visit to a specialist all that necessary. Melanoma is really dark and not found in "multiple digits" so that was a good sign. She said it could be anything from hormonal changes to "aging" and that nail discoloration doesn't really mean much because everyone's nails are different. (Unless it was really dark, shown in the cuticle and / or painful). But she didn't think it looked like anything I should be worried about. I'm still kinda curious as to what causes it. Growing up I ALWAYS had white speckles and now I sometimes get ridges in my thumbs so I figure my nails are just constantly changing. Did you ever find answers?

I have the same faint line. Trying to make an appt with dermatologist.. I keep reading the same thing about melanoma. I'm very nervous now.

He did they ever go away

I have been a nail "chewer" for 45 years, growing my nails out only twice. Each time, including now there are short, thin, faint black vertical lines in the tips. The middle and fourth fingertips on both hands. I wondered about a diet issue. I've been taking biotin and Vitamin D. ?