I am 19 years old and had my tonsils and adenoids out 8/13/08. I came on here everyday weeks before my surgery to read what everyone had to write so I thought I should share my experience as well.
I am currently on Day 3 and overall the experience has been pretty horrible. Here is my experience up to now.

Day 1- surgery was pretty easy. the IV was nothing. I don't remember the operating room at all. The worst part was trying to wake up from anesthesia. I had never had surgery before and didn't know what to expect but when I woke up I had no idea where I was and started to panic. But as soon as my mom came in I was fine, and went home an hour later. The rest of that day I slept.

Day 2- By far the worst day. I was not expecting to be so nauseated. The pain medication (Oxycodone) made me vomit and I couldn't even keep ice chips down. The pain was not as worse and how ill I felt altogether. I basically felt like the worst flu I have ever had in my life. I couldn't even walk to go to the bathroom without it making me throw up. Do not take your pain meds with nothing in your stomach!

Day 3- I got sick only once and my mom called my doctor for me, as I can not speak at all. He ordered in a new prescription for me (Codeine) and said it would not be as hard on my stomach but it was crucial I took it so I could drink fluids without it being so painful. I have only had one dose and so far am feeling the best I have felt yet.

As of right now my biggest advice is to keep something in your stomach. I think not eating for so long was a big cause of me getting sick to begin with. As gross as it sounds, I dipped crackers in water to get them soggy and ate those. They coated my stomach and made me feel a lot better. I went almost two days without any pain medication and that didn't bother me nearly as much as the vomiting did. I wish anyone going through this or about to the best of luck! Everyone goes through such a different recovery it all really depends on what makes you feel the best so I really hope I didn't freak anyone out too much. I will keep everyone updated. God Bless.