I am concerned about any potential risks for someone like me, female aged 53 and who suffer from other complex medical conditions. I would appreciate hearing of the tonsillectomy experience, pre or post-op, of someone my age or over. I've read about experiences of young people up to 21, but not of olders'.

I would also like to hear from other tonsilitis sufferers, who simply cope with the condition without surgery and how they cope, what helps them cope with it. I hope to learn from your experiences, and I thank those who make the effort to respond in this forum.

For many years I've suffered from tonsilitis, recently six or more times a year. The risks from surgery scared me, so such recurrences didnn't bother me. I went to the doctor when I knew I needed antibiotics, mostly I simply ignore it, as other medical conditions gradually developed in the last 20 years: chronic pain, anxiety and depression, sleep apnoea, reflux, hypertension etc. I hated medications; I never had to until age 30+. By then I learned I've had to find what worked for a better quality of life.

I've had two recent recurrences in a month, the last one I felt worse than any previous occasions. Felt very weak, was incoherent, with confused thinking, swallowing was that bad, I screamed with each effort. I was unsteady on my feet, but had to keep cleaning up (post Christmas mess). The painkillers +low dose morphine I regularly take did not ease the pain (perhaps I've reached tolerance levels). I use a CPAP machine for sleep apnoea but stopped it for now, as it causes dry mouth/throat even with a humidifier, thus making my throat sore.

Code:

I am 52 years old and had my tonsil removed 4 weeks ago. I had strep for 3 weeks in January and 2 weeks in February. The doctor said I was a strep carrier and needed my tonsils removed. I was in a great deal of pain for several weeks but that was not the worst of it. Since then I have lost 20 pounds and have a very bad taste in my mouth. Nothing tastes right and I have no appetite. Because of this I am not encouraging you to have this surgery. I wish we would have just tried more antibiotics to clear it up. I have researched and found that some older adults never get their taste back. I am praying that I am not one of these people!

Good Luck
BJS

Are you sure you don't also suffer fr gasyroesophageal reflux. I had a bad taste in my mouth and Nexium helped.