I've got one for you guys....

I'm 17 and female. About 5 months ago I went to the doctor complaining that my tonsils had swelled up. Since then I've been to him more times than I can count, in and out of school and work with numerous doctors notes. He (along with another walk-in clinic doctor) has put me on several anti-biotics and pain killers, but nothing's working. I think my body has became either immune or dependant on the anti-biotics because everytime I come off of them my tonsils swell up again. Along with my golfball tonsils, I've been getting migraines, sysmetic yeast infections (oral and vaginal.. which are probably due to my weakened immune system along with the load of antibiotics i've been on).
This week has been particularly bad because of more yeast infections.. but a few days ago, any hangnails or open sores that were on my hands began to swell up and became infected within 24 hours. (happy easter) The doctor now has me on an antibiotic for that, which is slowly helping. I am on medical leave (unpaid) from work because it was taking too much out of me, when I did make it to work. Luckily, I graduated highschool a semester early, so schooling is not a problem.

I had an appointment with a specialist and he agreed that I need to get my tonsils out, but the surgery won't take place for another 6 months from now. My doctor's trying his best on getting the surgery moved up but has made no promises and won't. He's completely stumpped. Even when my tonsils aren't inflamed, they're still huge and disfigured. They've taken a blood test, which came back negative for Mono. A swab which came back negative for Strep. And another culture, directly from my tonsils when they were pussed up and inflamed that came back with no growth.

My doctor has given me codiene (tylenol 3) because it's the only thing that's helped me cope with the pain so far. I'm constantly drained (probably partially from the tylenol 3), irritable and spend most of my time in bed or asleep. My appetite is gone, food doesn't taste good anymore, and I don't really want it anyway. I don't know what to do, or have any energy left to do it.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Is there something else my doctor should be checking?

SO DID YOU EVER FIND OUT WHAT IT WAS FROM? I FOUND YOUR POST BEACUSE I HAVE A HORRIBLE SORE THROTE, I THINK BEACUSE I JUST GOT THE ORAL HERPES VIRUS FROM MY NEPHEW, IM GOING TO RIDE THE PAIN OUT BEACUSE I DON'T HAVE A FEVER.

I am 17 also...in the last 3 months I have had tonsillitis 5 times. I am almost positive that I picked it up from the same person every single time. It appears that I have strep throat, yet every test comes back negative...antibiotics work but now doctors refuse to give them to me. My tonsils are terrifying to look at. I know it's not an STI, but other than that...this throat pain is pretty much a mystery.

I have a similar problem. I have reaccurent tonsillitis. I don't have it all the time like you but I get it once a month for about a week. My mom has anti-biotics that she gets from mexico and she gives them to me because I don't have insurance. When I turn 21 and get Medicaid I plan to get them removed. I've had this problem since I was about 17 but the doctors always said I was better off keeping my tonsils but they don't know how painful it is for us. I throw up at least once a day when they swell up and it just makes you not want to eat. I know it doesn't sound like much help but warm salt water helps the swelling go down believe me it helps more than the anit-biotics.

Try this: 10 days course of antibiotic Cefixime, than min 30 days course of Augmentin or only min 30 days course of Clindamycin... This is the only treatmant to avoid tonsiilectomy..
My e- mail:

Hi, similar problem to me, 6 times this year, came off antibiotics only 3 days ago and its already back, got so bad, both tonsils are now disfigured, and split up into 3 pieces on one side. Taking them out in a month and a half. So counting down the days, I've been recently introduced to a throat spray called Difflam Spray. Try it, it has helped me a lot. Hopefully it helps u too.

getting your tonsils out wont help!! the infection will just move further down your throat. see a better doctor. it can only be 3 things viral bacterial or fungal. if it gets worse with antibiotic's it's viral or fungal if better with them then its bacterial. antibiotics can be very selective and only work best against certain bacteria. look up tonsil stone's
hope this helps

Have they checked if you have glandular fever? This can cause recurrent severe tonsillitis. There's not really anything they can do about it if it is glandular fever, but at least then you know why and can take care of yourself and look out for the other symptoms etc.

Hi Shamsnaw, we're looking for someone to come on BBC South Today to talk about having tonsillitis over and over again and not being able to have them removed - please could you get in touch with us. We're looking to do the piece tomorrow - also wherebouts are you from?

Many thanks

Hi, I have had something similar and the only thing that works for me is a whitish liquid antibiotic, it's meant to treat fungal infection. The only problem is, in my country it called benectrin, and I don't know what it's called in the UK. If anybody out ther knows, please contact me

For the last 3 months I've been getting tonsillitis once a month..I buy moxypen for R35 in 5 days its healed..but I can't keep up with this every month!! I don't have money for a doctor.. :(

Hey! I had the same problem and I went to the hospital becuase it just got so bad, they ended up testing me for mono and strep they both came back negative, but what did help is that they gave me a shot that they called "Advil on stereoids" don't remember the scientific nam e... But that made the sweeping of my tonsillis go down in a couple of days and I was back to normal in a week! Although I have been getting more milder versions of tonsilitis every month... Which I don't understand why... But yeah! If it gets super bad go to the hospital!

I am 18 though I turned 18 in September which is after my streak and reoccurring tonsillitis has occurred. I first got it after I went on a cross country trip in the US. I had the typical symptoms of huge swollen tonsils with the white sores. I went to my normal doctor and she prescribed me with antibiotics for Strep even though I didn't have strep. The tonsillitis wasn't going away so I went to a walk in clinic, where they gave me something called "magic mouth wash" which is a mixture of like 3 different things in liquid form. That worked but I got a rash; and the doctor said that is part of the same stream that caused the tonsillitis and the rash just pops up as an after stage! That happened to my in mid august but I had it for about 2 weeks. So awful.

My tonsillitis returned about 2 months later in mid October to early November.(though I had a fun round of bronchitis in between) It wasn't as bad as the first round, but the ymptoms were different. I had the usual swollen tonsils and white sores, but this time a runny nose decided to join the fun. It wasn't as bad and as soon as I saw it I went to the doctor and asked her to prescribe me the magic mouth wash because I had tonsillitis again. She was a bit frustrating and insisted on giving me a strep teat and a mono test which was a blood sample and freaked me out because of my fear of needles :D but that came back negative and she proscribed the same antibiotics for strep...

And my tonsillitis has returned!! This one is also a little different from my other 2 cases and I have a swollen red tonsils so far with no sores, but an awful headache. I've been meaning to see my actual doctor about it as well... I have a feeling that I am going to need a tonsilectomy which scares me because of singing and if they dislocate your jaw like they say I will be in so much pain because my jaw naturally pops on one side and I have a fear of surgery and needles and I have college work and pain medication barely works on me I need a double dose to have the same effect as a normal person and I've never been "put to sleep" before and I'm scared I will make up during the procedure which happened to my dad when he broke his finger :D

I'm an anxious mess.

I am 20. I'm suffering from tonsillitis since 14, i get it least 4 times in 6 months. I have a huge pain swallowing food even drinking liquids. I've consulted many doctors so far and got antibiotics but it weakens me more. Along with huge swollen tonsils i catch fever. Until recently, a doctor advised me to get tonsils out, but i'm scared. Removing tonsils lessen your immunity and there's a 45% chance of gaining it again. Should i get it operated?