18 yr old w/ recurring tonsillitus post-mono, is a tonsillectomy worth it?

not at all the pain you go through after is horrid and ur taste buds are messed up for months and in some case a year or more doctors say it will take 10-14 days for you to be back to normal but u still have some pain for usually 3 months it is not fun at all i dont think its worth it. if i could make the choice of having this done or not i would go back and not. it is the worst experience of my life

Chelyn, you're stupid.
Yes, get it done.
I just got mine done 3 weeks ago, I'm fine now,
and your tonsils are what is causing you to get sick,
they are infected which is causing your tonsilitis.

I just got mine taken out yesterday, I was in and out of the hospital in a couple of hours, and the best thing is waking up after surgery, I have no idea what the hell I was doing, but I was in a very good mood. Anyway, I was in no pain until about 7 hours or so after surgery, but then it really hurt like hell, but I think that was mostly the shock of the pain, I've gotten used to that now, and as long as you take the painkillers as subscribed, you'll be OK. Then there is the food, I think I'm pretty lucky, I've read posts from people who can't eat solid food for weeks after surgery, but I found that white bread with no crusts are no problem the day after surgery, so as long as I chew properly I think I can go without getting to hungry. Ofcourse there is the craving for pizza and other spicy food that I can't eat, but other than that you should be OK. If your tonsils are a problem you should definately get a tonsillectomy, think of all the time you don't have to spend at home being sick in the future!

I'd like to know some info on tonsillectomy/adenoid removal for a child. My daughter goes in for surgery Friday, and I am soaking as much information as I can since we just had our appointment on Monday. Thanks for all your posts, I have made a huge list of questions, and intend on shopping for all the items you have listed Thanks for the positive and negative input as well. I appreciate the honesty. :-)