I started keeping track of my diet in order to drop roughly ten pounds in the next three months. Other than confusion regarding caloric intake, percentages of fat, protein, and carbs, and all the other wonderful aspects of dieting, I have noticed that in my nutrient calculations it lists me as taking in roughly 20 mg of iron every day. Today I have 32 mg of iron, is it too much? I am a 22 year old, male weighing it at 175 lbs.

Well here is the thing, since I work in a health food store, and I do take a supplement with iron in it. It has about 2.5 mg of iron in it, but I actually take half the recommended dose. I think the reason for the worry about cancer has to do with the iron ‘turning into’ a free radical in the system or something like that. I guess the iron is stored and most men lose roughly 1 mg per day or something like that. I am probably wrong! If you are really worried about too much iron, I would recommend consulting your doctor and have an iron blood test.