Is being 'fuzzy' headed the first few days of a diet normal? It's just a straight forward less calories, more exercise type of diet. No Atkins or South Beach for me.

Most definitely. Be sure to assure that you are drinking enough liquids so that it is not from dehydration, though. In your neck o' the woods, I would think that dehydration would happen quickly!

Well, the lightheadedness [sp?] has passed for the most part. I've spent the last week plus logging everything I eat on Fitday. It's been a real eye opener. 8O I was sure my % of carbs each day was way higher.

Speaking of lightheadedness--what are all the causes?

Low caloric intake

dehydration

meds

anything else?

First of all PH, why in the world are you dieting? :?

Most likely I would assume your lightheadedness is from low blood sugar. Since you are probably cutting out snacking (my guess) your suffering from lower blood sugar through out the periods of the day where you normally would have eaten something to keep it up. Just a guess though. :twocents:

I'm just trying to drop a few pounds for some important upcoming races. I don't really care to be as thin as I am now, but I seem to be riding faster.

I get lightheaded as well PH. I know it's from not consuming enough overall calories for me. I usually drink plenty enough. (I'm constantly downing water while in the office). No meds for me.

I'm basically on the 5 - 6 smaller meal plan (per day) targeting about 400 - 600 calories per meal. I don't limit my carbs, but I don't eat very many processed carbs. Lots of protein/no-fat dairy.

My weight has plateaued off for several months of gaining now. I really have to force myself to ingest extra calories to gain more muscle weight. I have to eat 3500-3800 calories for a few days in a row to add weight now. It's like I have to consciously prepare & eat more "real meals" like rice/chicken breast or salmon to get enough protein & carbs to grow. When you are constantly on the go, thats tough to do.

If I go more then 2.5 - 3 hours without eating, I start to get lightheaded. Today was a prime example. Had a small-ish protein bar at 10am - Went to lunch with as a large group and I didn't begin my Salmon Ceasar Salad until shortly after 1pm. By the time I started in on that salad, I had only put down maybe 700 or so calories for the day. Major hunger pains and some lightheadedness for good measure.

It seems like a good problem to have, because your metabolism is sky high. As I return to running again this Fall, it will be will be different (i.e. difficult) as I'm much heavier now then last Fall. In your case, make sure you take in the right percentages of foods even fats. I learned several new things on Hussman's page (esp. about calorie deficits):

Good luck.