Hi. My baby was diagnosed with dacryostenosis. It is an obstruction of the tear duct. Doctor told me dacryostenosis is a common problem in infants. His naso-lacrimal duct is blocked. Also, I think his tear ducts are too small. What to do?

Hi. The first treatment of a blocked naso-lacrimal duct includes warm soaks and massage of the duct, two to six times a day. Sometimes antibiotic ointment for the treatment of infections is needed. The success rate of this method is 90%. If it doesn`t work, go to an ophthalmologist for probing of the duct. And if this doesn`t work as well, the surgery is needed. I think tear duct size depends on age, sex and race.

Hi there,
You have to know that this is not that uncommon problem in infants. The fact is that this can be noticed in first few weeks after the delivery. How old is your child? I think that you can try to clean the tear duct carefully with warm and wet washcloth. It is important to use new washcloth every time you do this. The problem here is that blocked tear ducts need probing procedure if they do not get back to normal in short period of time. What did your doctor suggest that you need to do? I hope that your child will be better soon and that you won’t need any procedures.

All the best,
Danella