And I think you should be worried for this eye infection might easily be a newborn conjunctivitis which is well known as "pink eye" like you have described it. There are many causes of conjunctivitis –some bacteria or virus might have caused it, but also some chemicals or allergy. My kid also had it at first weeks of life and his conjunctivitis was of bacterial origin so he was treated with some antibiotic drops, I was also applying warm compresses to his eye and it is advisable not to touch the eye especially with dirty fingers for the hygiene is much important here. Anyway you should go seek some medical help for I don’t think that this eye infection could go away on its own that easy in fact it may even cause some complications.

Well regarding the fact that your child is now 9 months old and this tear duct infection is still on then some treatment is always advisable-though in many cases those tear duct infection in newborns doesn't need any treatment for it usually vanish up to the 6 months of baby's life but for this is not the case than some antibiotic treatment would work here-especially for this yellowish discharge you have mentioned. And I think you shouldn't delay any treatment for this discharges might lead to further blockage of tear duct which is usually treated with probing procedure –my 13 months old son had it a month ago and it turned out to be very effective –it has simply opened the duct and now everything seems to be fine.