Hi, a friend of mine has always complained of cold. He says that he can not move fingers and that they even change color when he exposes them to cold. He went to see a doctor and was diagnosed with raynauds disease. I have never heard of such a condition. Can you tell me something about it? I was also wondering if you can tell how raynauds disease is treated.

Hi, Raynaud's is a disease of blood vessels. It is triggered by exposure to low temperatures or stressful situations. In these cases, our blood vessels normally narrow themselves in order to keep the core temperature. When one has Raynaud's, the blood vessels narrow much more. As a result blood supply of the affected body parts is insufficient. Because of this the fingers of your friend go numb and turn white. The treatment of Raynaud's is done with the help of medications. There are a lot of different drugs that can be used. However, they all are directed in acting in blood vessels spreading. Since it is the fingers of your friend that are affected, one more thing can help. Raynaud's gloves are it. They are a special kind of gloves that preserve the temperature.