Hi, I have a problem with my fingers, whenever it gets cold. If I go outside in winter without gloves, my fingers become purple, and very painful. Even gloves are insufficient to protect me, it’s too cold anyway and my fingers get purple in gloves as well. Could it be Raynauds?

Raynaud’s syndrome is a disorder of the small blood vessels of the extremities, which when exposed to coldness constrict and less amount of blood flows through them. Since blood vessels are in spasm the Raynaud’s syndrome is characterized by pain, numbness, throbbing and tingling. Emotional distress is another trigger, except coldness for such a response. Affected areas are fingers, toes, nose, ears and other peripheral extremities may be involved. Typically, fingers become blue or purple at cold exposure then become red when they warm up. Raynaud’s-type color changes are special and differ from normal color changes. It can be primary or secondary, when it is associated with another disease.