Hi, I am just curious. I heard somewhere that there is a condition that does not allow you to enjoy snow. It is called raynaud's disease. As far as I have understood this condition can be a product of another illness and it is then called secondary raynaud's. What can you tell me about secondary raynaud's?

Hi, Raynaud's disease is a condition that affects blood vessels. It is a normal thing that our blood vessels narrow when exposed to low temperatures. In the Raynaud's disease, this narrowing is exaggerated. Because of that, blood can not get to the affected body parts. Usually, it is fingers and toes that are influenced. But not only cold, or as you said snow, triggers attacks of Raynaud's. Stress can act in the same way. The cause of it is unknown. If Raynaud's occur as a disease for it self, it is called primary raynaud's. If it is caused by some other condition the name is secondary raynaud's. There is a variety of illnesses that can make the secondary raynaud's appear. Usually, they are autoimmune connective tissue diseases. Because blood vessels are made out of connective tissue these illnesses affect them too. When the blood vessels are damaged the blood flow through them is diminished and this causes the symptoms of secondary Raynaud's syndrome.