Hi, last night I had some friends come over. We talked about everything. One story, however, drew my attention like no other. One of my friend said that he knows a man that has to wear gloves or his fingers become useless. The illness that he has is called raynaud's disease. What is raynaud's?

Hi, a lot of people find Raynaud's disease quite unusual. I think so too. Raynaud's disease is a condition that affects blood vessels. The ones that are mostly affected are located in the skin of fingers and toes. When exposed to cold or stressful situations, these blood vessels narrow. This is a normal reaction of the body. In the people with Raynaud's, this reaction is overstated. As a result, blood does not get to the parts of the body affected by Raynaud's. They become numb and change color. Raynaud's disease can be a disease on it own but can also be a result of some other illness. The cause of it is unknown. However, there are medications that can be used for the treatment.