Hi, my mother has a conditions that is, for me, at least strange. When she puts her hands in cold water or goes out when it is cold her fingers change. They become numb and therefore she can not use them. Later, the fingers turn white. The doctor diagnosed her with raynauds disease and prescribed some medicine. What are possible causes of raynauds?

Hi, Raynaud's disease is for me a very strange condition too. It influences blood vessels. When exposed to cold, like with your mother, or stressful situations, the symptoms occur. They are the ones that you have described. Normally our body reacts to these conditions by narrowing the blood vessels. When one has Raynaud's, the narrowing reaches the extremes. Because of this, insufficient amounts of blood are being transported to the body parts that are affected by Raynaud's. The cause of this condition is not completely known. As I said previously, the attacks are produced as a result of exposure to cold. Raynaud's disease can be a disease for itself but can also be a product of another illness. This is a so called secondary Raynaud's. Some scientists also believe that genetics play a part in the creation of Raynaud's disease but it is also not known as a fact.

My best friend has raynauds. At first her fingers would turn white and numb like you explained and she had to wear gloves 24-7 through the winter. Now her fingers and toes are turning black and her doctor says they will self amputate. Her doctor also told her that smoking can cause raynauds.