Over the winter I probably will not get out on the road as much as I'd like to run - so to keep active inside - what would best complement my running / an exercise bike or a treadmill?

Are you going to buy one or the other or go to a gym?

If you're buying, I'd go with the treadmill. Nothing helps your running like running.

If you're do the gym membership, I'd do most of my time on the treadmill and use the bike for cross-training / boredom relief.

Gotta go with the treadmill. It's just way to easy to slack on the exercycle. But once you punch in the pace on the treadmill, you gotta keep up or get your butt thrown off the end.

If you did want to add some cycling, you could always get a trainer-stand(?) for your bicycle and add the occasional pedal on that. I have a wind-resistance one somewhere and I think it was like $75 ...might have to dig that out this winter.

Are you going to buy one or the other or go to a gym? If you're buying, I'd go with the treadmill. Nothing helps your running like running. If you're do the gym membership, I'd do most of my time on the treadmill and use the bike for cross-training / boredom relief. :1: Gotta go with the treadmill. It's just way to easy to slack on the exercycle. But once you punch in the pace on the treadmill, you gotta keep up or get your butt thrown off the end.
And another :1: And, been there, done that with that butt thrown off the end thing. :roll:

Personally, I like the rower for a good monotony breakup, but again, it depends on whether you're going to the gym or have room in your house for one. But if it's between the mill and a bike, I always vote for the mill. I hate biking, unless like JJ said, you get a trainer stand and use your own indoors, then you can buy those Spinervals tapes and go on rides with "hills" and stuff......

I agree with breaking up the monotony, I like to switch up to the elliptical (seems I don't last near so long as I do running though)