Hello all, I just found out that I'm pregnant and I'm worried because I have type 1 diabetes. What do I need to know about pregnancy and type 1 diabetes. I wasn't planning on getting pregnant. My husband doesn't seem to be too upset about it after all we've been married 4 years now. Maybe it's about time. Anyway, I haven't had any time to think about how my diabetes will affect my pregnancy. I know I'm not good with managing my blood sugar levels but I guess that has to change now. I hope this hasn't affected my baby but I have to believe there has been some affect. Can anyone help. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I know you must be excited about your pregnancy even if it was unplanned. Type 1 diabetes is more serious a situation than type 2. The most important thing is that you get your blood sugar levels under control as fast as possible. Generally, you may have an increase in the probability of retinopathy which can eventually bring about blindness for you. Since your blood levels were not managed when you got pregnant, this increases the risk of birth defects for you baby. The first few weeks of gestation are critical for development. Hopefully you have been to a doctor who can help you get you sugar levels under control and guide you the rest of the way. You'll need to check you sugar levels about eight times a day and write down all your readings along with the foods you ate and any exercise you've done. You doctor may have to put you on a new diet and exercise regime since you didn't have your sugar levels managed well be you got pregnant. But that shouldn't be so bad once you get the hang of it. Just take it one day at a time and you'll get there. Good luck to you and baby.