I am a 26 year old uncircumsized guy who had never retracted his foreskin until last week, but had no problems whatsoever ever. Last week, after reading a lot on this forum about penile hygiene and smegma, I thought of retracting the foreskin to clean under. I managed to do it without much trouble and was amazed to see inside for the first time. I cleaned a lot of deposited white stuff, but then the coreskin could not go back again.

So, again after reading on this forum, I figured out how to press the glans head gently to push the blood down so that foreskin could come back. And it again worked perfect, without any pain or trouble and my foreskin was back.

Today, I tried to repeat the procedure of retracting and pulling back, but am in a lot of pain now :-(

I managed to retract without much trouble, and cleaned, but as soon as I retracted, I could see the inside very moist (unlike the first time) and a little grainy. then within no time, it started to swell and become red. I thought it'll become ok, but the swelling kept on increasing and now its been 6-7 hours since my foreskin is retracted, and upper half of my penis is like a balloon!! Its irritating like hell, paining a lot, very moist, red, i can see red spots.

I'm in a lot of discomfort now and have to wait till tomorrow afternoon to go to the doctor. Its 01:00 AM now here :-(

I believe it is some kind of infection, but my immediate concern is to get the foreskin back over the glans! Without the swelling of the underskin/foreskin lessening, I cannot get it done and it is discomforting like hell.

Please help experts :-( would a bath help? or any other way I can do it myself without having to wait to go to the urologist? I dont wanna miss the college this morning, and more importantly, even walking is a big pain now with penis in such state of discomfort.

Thanks a ton.

Ok. I went to the shower now and for 30 mins washed my penis with warm water, hoping that it would become ok. Although the irritation lessesened by a fraction, the swelling didn't go a bit.

Just to explain again, between the ring of my foreskin (which is now stuck retracted) and the inflated glans, there is a part of underskin which is bloated like hell and is red. No matter how hard I try to press the glans or that part between glans and ring, in order to circulate the blood to facilitate pulling over my foreskin, it just doesnt help.

I'm getting more anxious now :-( I read topics like paraphimosis and my condition looks similar :-( just that my penis is not erect but flacid, with the head being so heavy that its always down. I dont think I'll be able to sleep tonight!

Thanks for any help

It does sound like paraphimosis.

Please, go to the emergency room and get it looked at now. It really is considered an emergency.

Untreated it can lead to gangrene. That is definitely not what you want to happen. They can help get the swelling down and give you something for the pain.

Please, go NOW and post us later to tell us how you are.

Good luck.

Many thanks for the reply. Can it lead to gangrene or other things even before a day is over? Its 3:30 AM now here in Germany and I fear that I cannot go now, mainly because I dont understand German language too well, which is what the people here in hospital emergency speak.

If it is ok to wait till 8 AM this morning, i.e. 4:30 hours more? As then I can go to a urologist who speaks english. The pain/irritation is not constant but comes in bouts as the exposed glans is disturbed by thigh/pubic hair. I really hope it gets ok without any invasive treatment :-(

If u suggest not to wait till morning, then I have to go to the emergency :-(

Thanks again

Hi again,

Just out of anxiety, what are the chances that my condition will be cured without any incision/anesthesia/prolonged treatment? Would I require a post-treatment rest or something?

One thing's for sure - I'm never ever in my life gonna try to retract my foreskin again!

If you are having to manipulate it to keep the blood circulating as you said, you'd better go. Without blood flowing the skin will become necrotic, dead. You don't want that.

The other thing, you are up at this hour because you're concerned. That right there tells me you should go. I'm sorry this happened.

Good luck and please post back.

I can't say as to how it will be treated. It depends on how swollen it is. I do know that in quite a few cases it can be manipulated back into its proper location. It just takes time, some lube, and maybe something for the pain.

In other cases, yes, you might need some surgery. It would range from minor to a circumcision. Please don't get that far ahead though or worry about this yet.

Actually, retracting your foreskin is something you need to do. It will eventually be able to slide properly.

OK, go! Good luck.

Thanks for all your advice and concern. Finally I am in peace now as I went to the emergency this morning and got it sorted out. And what did they do? Brute force!!! They were the scariest, most painful 2 minutes of my life this morning when the doctor forcibly pressed the swelling and was trying to pull it back, as 2 nurses held my hands and head while I was screaming violently!

I dont know if its supposed to cause such excruciating pain, but one thing's for sure - I'd happily agree to have 10 times more pain than I ever had in my life, through fractures, dislocated joints, cuts, bruises, incisions, etc.. rather than going through this ever again!!

He also advised me to get circumsized in order for this not to happen again, which I'm not too sure about right now.

But even though I was unlucky and rare (maybe) in having this while retraction, I'd seriously recommend uncircumsized people not to play around with foreskin! Just let it be however it is, and if you are very curious, then get circumsized. But just not toy around with your uncircumsized penis!

Thanks again

Thanks for posting back. I'm glad that it worked out for you. I can only imagine what you went through.

Usually the foreskin is able to retract freely by about age 16. It's one of those things that you really need to do while you're young and growing.

Get a second opinion before you decide on the circumcision. There may be options out there for you.

Good luck, Dan

You don't have infection. You have paraphimosis.

Paraphimosis is the name of the condition of a retracted foreskin that is stuck behind the glans penis (head) of the penis and will not go forward. One can read about paraphimosis on the Internet.

If the foreskin is tight enough it can cut off blood circulation to the head and cause edema (swelling due to fluid accumulation). Paraphimosis should be promptly reduced when it occurs. Paraphimosis may be reduced by squeezing the head of the penis really hard to force the blood to leave the head. This will reduce the size of the head temporarily at which time the foreskin may be brought forward.

If attempts to reduce the paraphimosis are unsuccessful, then one should go to the emergency room of a nearby hospital.

You have a condition called paraphimosis.

If the foreskin is tight enough it can cut off blood circulation to the head and cause edema (swelling due to fluid accumulation). Paraphimosis should be promptly reduced when it occurs. Paraphimosis may be reduced by squeezing the head of the penis really hard to force the blood to leave the head. This will temporarily reduce the size of the head at which time the foreskin may be brought forward.

If attempts to reduce the paraphimosis are unsuccessful, then one should go to the emergency room of a nearby hospital (Krankenhaus). It is not necessary or advisable to be circumcised although some old-fashioned doctors are likely to recommend it.

You need to start stretching your foreskin over a period of time to make it wider so that this does not reoccur.

When your penis is erect, gently pull your foreskin back against the head of the penis. As the head attempts to pass through the foreskin it will stretch the skin a little. Do this every day and in a few weeks or months your foreskin will widen and you will be able to retract your foreskin. Do NOT force retraction. Do NOT cause yourself pain.

It works by tissue expansion. Stretching skin induces

You do NOT need to get circumcised. You only need to stretch your foreskin. Most guys do it in their teens.