Hi, I just started taking the birth control pill Ortho Tri-Cylen Lo last Sunday Dec. 17th, at 9pm. Since Sunday I've been taking it religiously at 9pm every single night exactly.

My doctor told me to wait until the Sunday after my period to take my first dose. I started my period on Monday Dec. 10th, and ended Friday Dec. 14th.

In the insert and on the manufacturers website it says to use condoms for the first 7 days of having sex on the pill. After that it is safe not to.

I had unprotected sex the Monday after I took the pill. Dec. 18th. Which was day 9 of my cycle (my cycle is fairly normal around 27 - 29 days. My fiancee ejaculated but did pull out before doing so. We are abstaining from sex until I've been on the pill for 7 days.

Any advice on my chances of being pregnant? Thanks.

Couples on the pill are usually advised to refrain from having unprotected sex until they have completed one full cycle on the pill. I would advise you conduct more thorough research on what you are taking and its full workings and use before you take hormonal contraception in the future!

anyhoo.

The claim that the pill protects you from pregnancy from the first pill is true, technically. From the first pill cervical mucus is thickened and the endometrium is altered making the acceptance of a fertalised ovum less likely, so therefore the pill has taken effect and you are being protected.

However it usually does take some time for ovulation to cease completely. which is why its advised to use extra precautions at first.

however some studies suggest that the thickening of mucus and changes to the endometrium are what actually protect the majority of women from pregnancy, as the levels of hormone in the pill arent enough to cease every womans ovulation.

Having unprotected sex on the first day of your pill cycle means that although you arent completely safe, as long as you continued taking the pill completely correctly and regularly from now on, you may just well be protected, (as conception is not entirely instantaneous, the fertalised ovum then needs to join into the lining of the womb, which takes 8 to 12 days, giving the pill plenty of time to come into effect altering the endometrium, making it less accepting of an egg and protecting you from pregnancy)

i can also say you would be that you had sex on the 9th day of your cycle, which just falls outside the more fertile time of your cycle. (which are roughly from day 12 onwards to day 16- this is just an estimation based on cycle length however, it is not definate, and sperm can live inside the womb for up to 5 days waiting for an egg to be released)

simply put, as an estimate from my own knowledge, you are at a reduced chance of conceiving at this point in your cycle, than if you weren't on the pill. so relax, for now.

Of course, you will know whether the worst case scenario has happened if your withdrawal bleed does not arrive, but I would generally conclude the chances are low.

I had unprotected sex the next day after having my first birth control pill and before that I was on depo.so will I be pregnant?

hi there,   im on the bith control for over 3years now Linessa28!,, i was juste wondering , is the first pill "yellow one" after my week of peroide is save?  like my sunday pill... i had unproted sex, i was juste wondering is the pill of   my first week, proteted me 100%. Im sure it is save, but juste curious!

b****r did you get pregnant