I am a 21 year old female in the UK, and I have been suffering with a painful burning sensation which I believe to be coming from my urethra since September 2014. The pain comes and goes throughout the day, and it will be at its most intense after having urinated, and after sex. At its worst I struggle to walk. The need to urinate has increased but there is no difficulty in going, though I do now most often have two streams when urinating which sometimes will stop and start. On multiple occasions there has also been thick blood in my urine too. No UTIs have ever shown up on the paper dip test at my local GPs, though I have had UTIs in the past. I have tested negative to all STDs. I have had ultrasound scans which have shown nothing abnormal. I have had numerous internal examinations by doctors and one by a Gynaecologist, all have said everything looks normal and healthy.  My GP has had me try at least 6 different types of antibiotics but none have had any effect on me, except for Cefalexin which I took once a day for 28 days, the pain felt lifted and sex was possible again, but 3-4 days after having finished my course I was back to how I was before them.   I drink plenty of fluids (including cranberry juice) and eat healthy, I don't drink alcohol, smoke, or take drugs. All pain killers have very little effect on the pain, only a hot water bottle sat between my thighs brings any relief. Taking cranberry capsules, and/or cystitis relief sachets has had no effect. I am about ready to give up on my local GP, its doctors and the NHS, no matter how many appointments I make and attend no progress is ever made, no tests are ever taken and my request to be referred to a Urologist has been repeatedly turned down, I am only ever told to drink more water and to try a new antibiotic, which I pay for each time, no one seems willing to search and to find out what is causing the pain. Affording to go private is a problem for me though, and so I just hope there is someone out there who can relate to me and give me guidance/knowledge on what to do.  This pain is now negatively affecting all aspects of my life. 

Hi there

You could probably have a stone in the bladder. Here is some info for you -

The symptoms of bladder stones are:

• frequent urination, especially during the night.
  • lower abdominal pain.
  • men and women may experience a burning sensation or pain in the urethra when urinating.
  • urine that contains blood or appears cloudy.
  • the inability to control urine

Have your doctor examined you for a bladder stone. Good luck

Also, I've experienced same for many, many years. I'm post menopausal 72 yo female & intercourse is totally out of question. My Gyno finally saw the a purple bump that protrudes from my urethra. It's called a Urethral Caruncle & I was given Premarin cream (Hormone)