I have had a urinary problem for nearly a year now. It seemed to start with a uti that did not respond very well to antibiotic treatments, I was referred to local GUM clinic and the only thing of note was puss cells in urine so they decided to treat as NSU with a course of antibiotics (this did not work as I required a further 2 more doses of antibiotics) I was then referred for a cystoscopy (all clear no obvious problems) and then an ultrasound (all clear)
The problem is normally very manageable whilst at home, and I am pretty much pain free. The problem arises when I have to drive as within 3-10 of starting my journey I get an overwhelming urge to urinate. It feels like all the muscles are clenching in order not to pee and its extremely uncomfortable. If it’s really bad I stop and pee behind bushes and normally only produce really small amounts of urine.
If I drive for longer than 15 minutes I will tend to experience pain/ urge sensation for about two and a half hours after the journey ends. The situation is so bad I have been unable to work since August.
I have had lots of urine tests that often come back as clear but a few have come back with infection or showing mixed flora.
I am a male diabetic (currently diet controlled) I have seen a urologist and he thought it was prostatitis although as yet they have offered no treatment for this problem. The problem has got worse for me since 18/08/08 as this was the last day of antibiotics that I had been taking for a UTI. It had required 3 doses, until a clear urine sample was obtained although at this point my symptoms rapidly got worse. Until this point I had been able to drive the few miles to visit parents without too much discomfort, this changed within a couple of weeks and I was completely unable to drive (infact unable to drive more than 300 yards without having to turn back due to urge).
The problem seems possible to be caused by driving position, vibration of road surface or pressure caused by sitting with body weight pressing on bladder.
I have found that even walking can cause this problem with the added problem of bladder ache? My bladder feels tender and steps seem to echo through it (sorry rubbish description)
Could this be prostatitis as the urge/tickle/ache seems to come mainly from the very top of my urethra and slightly behind the base of my penis. I have had an ache in my bottom but rarely. Help.

I suffer from exactly the same problem! have done for over two years now. I've had near enough every bladder control medicine you can get and two ultrasounds. Both haven't helped. was put on anti-depressants at one point which also didn't help. Been checked for diabetes but came back clear, no UTIs. doctors have been as good as useless and have basically ignored me to the point where your made to feel like a hypocontriact!

It started with it only happening whilst driving but now i have developed a "mental" type thing where if i can't get to a toilet, I'll have a panic attack.

I know im not mad and ill happily admit sometimes it is my brain doing it but driving is different and i get the same symptoms as you. If i can hold it for the journey and reach the destination (and not have a panic attack), the urge goes away and im totally fine (if i have a panic attack, the urge stays).

I am beginning to think that its a thing called chronic prostatitis but im going to get the doctors to check for this.

Let me know if you get any further and ill do the same!

dan

Driving continues to be a problem although my company have been great about me not driving and have moved me to an office closer to my home. I really wish I knew what was causing this problem.
If I pee just before leaving home I can do a 20 minute journey without too much discomfort. Although the tickle/urge normally starts within about 4-5 minutes of driving.
I have had to modify the way I drive as I now leave my house at 06:20 in order to totally avoid any kind of traffic and I tend to make the return journey at about 21:30 for the same reason.
I find that walking can set the urge feeling off as the echo/tickle/urge can start almost straight away although this seems easier to manage.
I can sit around for hours before I need to pee but I have noticed that sometimes even after urinating I have the urge sensation.
I get a bit panicky which can also kick off the urge/tickle sensation.
This feeling does not seem to be located within the bladder but at the base of the ureathra (within the ureathra) and the muscular area where the penis meets the trunk.
I wonder if poor blood sugar control could be a contributing factor as I recently attended a flow rate clinic and a urodynamics clinic. Got normal results or better than normal results for both these tests but both tests showed high sugar in urine.
The seaman tests I had showed nothing wrong and when I had the cystoscopy the prostate was not enlarged.
Will go back to hospital in 2 weeks but I feel like a fraud as they cant seem to find a problem. This problem is controlling my life at the moment and I need to get a solution urgently as its been 15 months now. Hope you are getting some better results. Good Luck.

I am very much in the same boat, I have been unable to drive for over a year now due to extreme urges to urinate. The problem started when I was 18, it began with burning during and after urination, aswell as the constant urge to urinate. I saw my doctor about this and have so far had every test run twice, with no indications as to what is causing the problem.

The sensations I get are very strange, I would say there is definitely a mental component to it, but I am in no way crazy! Occasionally i'll go on a drive and experience no symptoms whatsoever. But most of the time i'll last about 20 mins, experiencing a slow buildup in tension around the prostate area/base of the penis and a strong pressure in the urinary tract. The funny thing is, although this urge can be very extreme at times, as soon as I get out of the car and stand up, the symptoms are greatly minimised. And often I can get back into the car and last another 20 minutes before I have to stand up again. Furthermore, I've found that raising the seat height helps a great deal, and for some strange reason ... driving downhill feels more comfortable than driving uphill! Ok maybe I have gone a little crazy, but can you blame me!

Stress and anxiety do play a huge factor in it, I feel a lot more sensations when stuck in traffic jams, or have a car sitting right on my bumper. I have done a HUGE amount of reading into this, and so far havent come up with anything conclusive. And I have seen ... probably around 6-8 different Urologists, most of them don't have a clue and blame it on prostatitis. The last one I saw simply said "I don't see anything wrong, so I'm not going to treat you" and basically sent me home!

I'm taking pills for OAB, alpha-blockers, I've tried antibiotics again and again, herbal suppliments, ibuprofen, all seem to be useless. The only relief i've found is using diazepam as a muscle relaxant, which seems to work as a preventative, but if the symptoms are already there then I get no relief. I'm also trying Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) which a Urologist suggested, but it's too early to tell if it has a positive effect.

So yep :-( I know how you all feel. I'm 22 now, dropped out of University because of the stress, and unable to work. I would kill for a diagnosis! I don't care if it's something as extreme as cancer (it wont be!), just hearing a diagnosis would be a huge relief! I'll keep you all posted if I learn anything more.

I am also facing with this problem since 3 months.. initially my doctor said it is infection and i took antibiotics course. The problem was solved but not completely so i was put on a course of darilong for 25 days which made me dry frm inside...i tried to control is myself but feels urge specially in places where i feel anxious. i am taking terol-la which is muscle relaxer and hope it will work,., its in our mind only...if u dnt think abt it, urge will not come...and it will become worse if u think abt it more

Hi everyone. Ive also had this problem. I feel the urge to go while im driving after about 30 minutes + and sometimes it can be so hard to hold i get urine actually coming out. But if im not driving, and i know theres a toilet near by sub-conciously then the urge wont even come. The worst bit is ive started learning to fly and its started happening up there, im gonna have to stop flying if this carries on. Ive not seen the doc yet but im thinking its time! I will post my findings and diagnosis on here if i find anything out. Could others also post your results-massive help!!! I do think theres def a mental element to all this! Thanks :-)

Hi, I have simular problem but mine is before i go out on a journey.. i have to have a wee. I believe it is totally phycological.

HI ALL,

SMALL FIX , MAY SOUND OBVIOUS OR WEIRD ..

ALWAYS CARRY A BOTTLE UNDER YOUR CAR SEAT TO PEE (WHICH HAS BIG CAP OPENING ,EASY TO PEE).

AND DEFINITELY STOP YOUR CAR ASIDE WHILE DOING SO.

I HAD SAME PROBLEMS , AFTER THIS FIX I PEED COUPLE OF TIMES IN THE CAR (BOTTLE!!) AND THEN NO MORE ANXIETY,

SO NO MORE URGE. DONT NEED ANY DOCTOR FOR SURE. ITS ABOUT MIND AND BLADDER CONNECTION. 

HOPE IT WORKS FOR U TOO..

BYE

I too have recently gotten this problem. One thing I can say is that it started happening immediatly after I held a pee in till the point my tummy was giving me spasms. I was fine before that point. I assume i did something to a nerve or muscle. All tests came back neg for infection, prostate etc. Only thing left is cystoscopy. The urologist asked all his questions but didnt seem to listen to me, and told me he didnt think there was any problem. I bacisly had to beg him to do the cystoscopy, which is in a week, but i see from others it probably wont find anything

One more for the list of sufferers - I've been troubled for almost a month. Started one day when stuck in peak hour traffic - the urge got so bad, by the time I got out of the car and into the bathroom at the office I was physically shaking.

I've been checked for infection - no dice. Blood tests for blood sugar and prostate function. All fine. Ultra sound on kidneys, bladder and prostate, all check out just fine. I have been carrying "the pee jar" in the car for emergencies after day 2 and it really hasn't made any difference at all.

I still get an increased sense of urgency when I need to when not in the car (so can't hold it long without it getting very uncomfortable). But sitting in the car, and especially whilst driving seems to trouble me every time.

Doc has put me on a trial course of 'Vesicare' to relax the bladder muscle and is suggesting likely cause is stress.

Really interested if anyone else has heard of a solution to this - it's badly affecting my life at the moment.

Just to update my situation. I have been problem free now since late jan/early feb. I didnt get the urologist to go in as I had already figured it was a nerve or muscle issue and sticking something the size of a pencil in there couldn't help it. I cut back on my coffee and drank more tea. I'd pee'd regularly and didn't wait till i had to really go bad as to not stress out muscle/nerve. Theboy, it lasted for months with me feeling discomfort while driving etc. If long drives stop every 15-20 mins and get out and walk around, you will probably find the discomfort lessons alot. Anyone who gets this issue after holding a pee till it hurts, it is a muscle/nerve, and will usually go away as long as you dont stress it out again. It will take time, mine lasted 4-5 months Good luck and hope you all get better, Andy

Dear Oggy,

You have described my symptoms precisely. I mean everything. Since I have allergies to strong smells and mold, my thinking, at first, was that it was a reaction to a new car I had purchased. So, I traded it in for a used car, with no real difference in symptoms. Just to understand the full context, are you in a newer car, and do the symptoms change in other cars?

Thanks!

Hi
Also I have this problem like
When I am in home no problem
When I need to go to out of home and drive this problem come back and make me crazy
About 2 years I just use fluoxetine and now better than before

I'm having the same symptoms as everyone here both in cars and when on public transport be it trains or buses. Its gotten to the stage where i can't sit for half an hour on a bus without a large amount of clear urine building up in my bladder and nearly making me wet myself. My driving lessons have also taken a hit as the instructor can see i am concentrating on trying not to wet myself while driving and missing car clearances and signals etc. Luckily my instructor is very understanding and plans learning routes around public toilets in case i need to go in my lesson. Although this is far from ideal.

My uniqueness though is that i think it has something to do with lower back pain on my right hand side which has been brought on by sciatica in the past. The GP's have referred me to a physiotherapist who has already confirmed that it isnt a deadly condition called Cauda Equina and might be related to another problem i have thats yet to be confirmed. Hospital Urologists have prescribed me a long course of cipro for a suspected acute case of prostatitis but this doesn't seem to have helped. Going back to the GP's they have prescribed me a nerve relaxant called Amitriptyline which so far seems to be working for me in a small manner, but its getting to the point where no matter whether i drink before getting in cars/buses the problem still happens and i get incredibly panicked.

I also feel like this may have something to do with how many hours we spend sitting down in a day and what position we adopt whilst sitting. I tend to notice that when i'm sat at home on my bedroom office chair i am sat further back in the seat with my prostate and bladder at the front of me. Whereas in cars and on buses you sit with them directly behind you in a more upright position where your body weight can compress the bladder and nerves surrounding it. This also isnt helped by the added compression you put on your back nerves when pressing pedals and juddering about through the suspensions. I'm really hoping it is something the physios can deal with because otherwise im going to go stir crazy with no clear resolution in sight...

exactly the same as all of you, i have had all sorts of tests and medication and nothing is working. if anyone finds answers let me know and i will do the same!