I am 15 weeks pregnant, 41 years old and this is my 2nd child, since about the 12th week I have been having bright red vaginal bleeding and clotting after any kind of strain with a bowel movement, it is only at the time of the bowel movement, and subsides to only spotting right away, and stops completely within the hour. My dr. has assured me through ultrasound that the baby is fine and not in any danger, she did see the bleeding in the ultrasound but said it was not serious. I have also had gastric bypass, I don't know if there is any connection or not. I don't know if i should seek another opinion or stop being so worried...

Hi, Are you having problems still? I have had the same problem when I perform a bowel movement and I am 18 weeks pregnant. Has everything worked out ok for you?

thanks for asking, i burried my little baby girl just yesterday, I went in for my 20week appt. and discovered she no longer had a heartbeat... we are devastated of course, but no solid answer as to what exactly went wrong..

Yippersmom,

I too have this problem. I also had gastric bypass in 2002. If I have to strain during bm I bleed bright red blood. Today it turned the water red then turns to spotting really quickly and then stops. What have you found out? I am trying to conceive and am scared that this will in some way effect that happening.

I am 12 weeks preg too and this has started to happen to me too. I have not had gastric surgery, but this is my 2nd pregnancy. I had an ultrasound today to find out what is going on and I am still waiting for the dr. to call me. What is this and should i be worried?

This just happened to me a few days ago. Bright red blood after a strained bm. I went for an ultrasound and the baby had grown and had a strong heartbeat but the dr. said my placenta was not fully attached to my uterus, causing bleeding. She said if it does not heal itself, I will miscarry. Good luck, I hope it works out better for you.

I had this happen, too. It started at about 15 weeks and lasted up until about 24 weeks. We have no idea what caused it, and I wound up at the hospital about a dozen times during the pregnancy.

I gave birth to a healthy baby girl about 3 months ago, and she is doing fine.

Found out I was prego on Monday and on Wednesday started spotting. Today I bleed bright red after bm and am stressing out that I'll miscarry. I have a blood test on Wed to see if the numbers go up, but doc thinks it is a bad egg. Any advise?

I bled after intercourse but only for an hour or two but a coupple days before I had a bowel movement and bled for about a day or two...and ive also been expireinceing diarreah nausea and dizzyness.....because i am having the same symptoms as you guys could this mean that i am pregnant?

I have the same problem, this worries me alot because Ive had 3 succesful pregnancies thats the good news but after that, I suffered 2 miscarriages both at 16 weeks. :-(.....now Im pregnant again and 11 weeks along. When I go to the toilet I bleed from my vagina only when I wipe my self.....worries me alot....then again I just had an ultrasound yesterday and baby was doing fine....so I am going to make an appointment to see my doctor, wish me luck :-)

I have the same problem! I have not had gastric bypass but I have had two miscarriages and this kind of bleeding occurred in both pregnancies. My second miscarriage was at 16 weeks and the first one was at 7 weeks. I am pregnant again (4 weeks) and once again, I bleed when I have a strained bm. It is so scary!!! It is nice to read that at least one of you have had a successful pregnancy in spite of this bleeding. I had an HCG test today and it only came back at about 150. Now I get to wait all weekend for another test on Monday, to find out the results on Tuesday. Wish me luck!! ?

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and have been having spotting or red blood after bm straining. I have been to the Drs. office 2 times @ (5 weeks and at 6 weeks) and the baby is doing well. I have talked with the trama nurse and they said, as long as I don't have cramps and it does not flow like a period, not to worry. Also as long as my pregnancy symptoms remain, such as nausia I shouldn't worry.

Once I relaxed the spotting went away for 2 weeks, but after a stressful weekend and strained bm it is back again. I think I'm going to try and take it easy tonight and see how it goes.

I also have the same problem. I am 14 wks. Not every time I have a BM, but three different times, after I strain, I have had bright red bleeding after and then it also lets up. I saw the baby two days ago on the ultrasound and he/she was moving all over the place. This my first baby and am really worried. The nurse told me it could be because of the placement of the placenta, mine is down low never the opening of the cervix.

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and am having the same symptons. I am too scared and embarassed to tell my husband that my bowel movements are also causing me to bleed during my first pregnancy. I've always had bowel complications and am so frightened that I may miscarry. My doctors (2) have told me that I have more than likely miscarried (80% positive) but I went for an ultrasound and I am still pregnant. I'm so scared that this is only a sign that this pregnancy isn't meant to be. I've been in bed for a few days trying to calm the bleeding, but everytime I have a bm, it comes back. I'm not even straining. It just comes. :'( I just wish that I knew what I could do to stop it or help prevent it. Any advice?

this has happened to me twice, im 7 or 8 weeks pregnant.
the only time I bleed is after a bowel movement, and I hope i can be of some help to you all.
Seeing this only LAST night,
I called a friend of mine, a midwife,
who told me that all you can do is continue to be pregnant, unless you are really concerned, then go and get an ultrasound.
If the bleeding lasts, in a steady stream for more than 30 minutes, go to the emergency room.
however,
your cervix could just be full of blood and sensitive,
when your intestines squish up, and you have constapation, theres a chance that when you have a bowel movement, its putting pressure on your cervix causing it to bleed. its only bleeding becuase the pressure is moving from one side of it, to the other.
I'm not saying dont worry, becuase i had a heart attack, this is something that you will have to watch for throughout your whole pregnancy, its recommended that you consume more fiber, even metamucil and some water could solve this problem.
if you are extreamly worried, go to the emergency room and they can let you know whats going on.
it's a weird and unlikely phenominon.