Is it possible to have a 10 pound bowel movement.

My husband and I made a bet with our son two days after Thanksgiving. The bet was who ever loses the most weight by Christmas day they get $50.00 per pound that they lose.

We weighed my son in the afternoon he was 259.5 lbs at 6'2". The next day after took a large dump he weighed 248.5 lbs. (thats an 11 pound difference and our scale is somewhat consistant, give or take a pound or two).

My question is as follows, can someone take a 10 lb dump? If not what is the largest known bowel movement on file?

Not to say no, but:

1. In high school it was common practice for the wrestling team (of which I was a member) to "weigh" our bowel movements by stripping to our birthday suits, hopping on our extremely accurate digital scale (rounded to nearest tenth of a pound), immediately going to the bathroom, and immediately hopping right back on the scale. This was common throughout both mid- and off-season. Results: although our bowel movements were significantly more often in the offseason, the variation in mass was only very slight. An average healthy bowel movement (even for the heavyweights) was around 1.5 lbs. 2 lbs was considered large, and even reaching the 3 lb. mark was unimaginably rare. To the best of my memory, no one in four years hit 4 lbs. Yes, I've had the bowel movements that filled up the toilet bowl over the water, reaching the rim, but even then it was not as much as you'd expect (MAYBE 3 lbs).

2. Your measurement was over a 24-hour period. Throughout a day a normal healthy male human being (around 150 - 180 lbs) can experience a weight fluctuation of 5-10 lbs, almost all of which is water. In addition, clothing (we'll say slacks, undershirt, shirt, undershorts, socks, belt, wallet) can account for an enormous fluctuation in weight; the example list of clothing I provided for me (5'7", 165 lbs, male) would weigh around 7 or 8 lbs. Simply changing "slacks" to "loose-fitting blue jeans" would increase that to around 10 lbs. (take it from someone who needed every ounce he could get to make weight in high school and did the math). Shoes alone can weigh as much as 4 or 5 lbs depending upon what you are wearing. And to top it off, everything I just listed is compounded exponentially with an increase in the individual's personal mass.

The answer to your question is that although it may be possible for a human to "take a 10 lb. dump" it is extremely unlikely that A. It would be anywhere near solid, and would probably be a sure sign of some serious affliction and B. you personally know that person, because it would likely be a world record (a one-in-more-than-six-billion record). The 11 lb. fluctuation is probably due to a. normal 24-hour weight fluctuations of a 248 lb male and b. changing clothes (see "Expectancy Theory").

You need a new scale, m'dear. You'll pay plenty, cos those $20 scales do NOTHING.

What about the woman that took place 26 foot long bowel movement? That had way more than 4 pounds

I get backed up/ blocked often. I've had to go to the ER twice due to having bm's that are simply far too big for me to pass on my own. It took a lot of me "learning the hard way" before I finally started to remember to take something EVERY day. The first time I went to the ER (in my adult life) for this, the doctor had to manually "disimpact" me (which is as miserable or more so as it sounds) and I was given a soap enema. The porta-potty they supplied me with had a scale built in. That bm was right at 6 lbs. I thought that was the worst it could be. Not so. A few months back I had surgery and was prescribed pain killers. I, being me, get constipated and don't really realize that I am because it's perfectly normal for me to go days without a bm so I didn't think anything about it. The next time I went, it was so bad... Hard, dry, non-moving, and I had to use two enema's and the pain was still horrible. I don't know if you have ever experienced a pain (you have children so I'm sure you have) where you don't even mean to cry out, moan or scream... it just happens? That's what this was like. It was so miserable and hard to pass, even with an enema, that my body literally screamed and moaned in pain. Afterwards I was so weak and hurt for over a week (sore). This last huge bm was MUCH much MUCH larger than the first one at the hospital that weighed close to 6 lbs. MUCH larger. I was actually scared after seeing it because I just knew that pain was a tear. Turns out everything down there is perfectly fine other than the soreness I would experience INSIDE for a little more than a week every time my bowels would move/shift or whatever they do. It's a strange feeling. But to answer your question, yes, I'm sure it's possible. I don't think your son actually had a bm that large because he would have been in CONSIDERABLE pain and you would have mentioned that. And with the last large bm I had being a great deal larger than the "6 pounder" I have no doubts it weighed more and it was positively miserable and painful. And once that amount of bowels has moved down to the lower intestine, it's nearly impossible to walk or move... So it probably wasn't as heavy as the scale let on! Just thought I'd share with you all that it is very possible to have 6 to 8 (possibly more) lb bowel movements! If I had know I could be a contendor for a world record.... No.... Lol I still would have kept it to myself! I would rather not be famous for that!

I realize this is an old thread but just thought I'd chime in. This morning I weighed myself while naked and was 162.6. Shortly after that I pooped twice within about 30 minutes and was amazed at the volume of what had just left my body so I weighed myself again and was 153.6. That is with probably about a pound of clothes on by the way. So I can say from personal experience it is possible. That was on an expensive scale that weighs very consistently and I weighed myself multiple times to confirm the result because I was shocked it was that much.

Forgot to mention that I'm very regular and go every day so I wasn't constipated. Just the aftermath of a weekend of junk food and excessively drinking. Haha I was so amazed at the size I had to google it and it brought me here.

This is completely false.

Same here normally a healthy eater, bitrthday weekend of junk food and alcohol. I normally suffer with IBS that’s mild when my diet is good but woke up in pain and then did the biggest BM I have ever experienced (filled well above the water level!) and now feel way better! But was worried so googled and ended up here. Always reassuring to find out your not alone. Feel sorry for some others that have much worse though.