Greetings everyone. I am fighting with my hubby about one thing all the time  - I am a huge, but HUGE hypochondriac. I have tried to do anything not to be, but I can't. I am scared of every single thing that can affect me and my health. But here is why we had a fight or discussion last night. I was talking to my friend that day and she told me that some symptoms that I have (such are pressure in my chest and trouble while I am breathing) can be connected with some heart issue. She told me that I can have variant angina and don't be aware of it at all.  Is it true?

Hey there Allyah.

You have to find the way to be less scared because of you. When you are scared a lot you can easily get depressed and this can affect your health.

I will try to answer on your question – you definitely have some symptoms that can be a sign of variant angina. I don’t think that you can get it without being aware of it. It is impossible in my opinion. You need to have some symptoms and some indicators to tell you that you have problems with it.

Try to find out what your doctor thinks about it. Have you visited him yet? 

Hey there. Yes, I know that stress can cause a lot of problems for my health generally but sometimes I just can't help it. Whenever I want to stop thinking about this, I just can't. I happens to me that I can't sleep because I am scared that something bad can happen to me. Now, I am not telling that you can get it without having any symptoms because clearly I do have some symptoms and I am scared that this could be a reason because I am having this variant angina. But I never was thinking about it before she told me.

No way, if you ask me. The most common symptom, I mean, the only symptom that angina has is chest pain. You cannot possibly not notice this chest pain, it is the thing that takes you to the doctor anyway and it is the thing that helps him easily determine if you have angina.

Look, angina is the thing when you have chest pain. Chest pressure can mean that you have a mild form of angina, but I honestly doubt it. When it comes to the fact that you are hypochondriac, you can't really change that, you are as you are.

Hey Allyah,

Look, since you are a hypochondriac, I doubt that the things we write here are going to help you. You won't be calm until you see the test results from your doctor and even then you will probably doubt the results of the tests.

I'm sure in one thing, you can't have a variant angina without noticing it. No way. Symptom of variant angina is chest pain which occurs while you are at rest, and you have to have some rest at some time during the day. If you don't feel any pain during your rests, then you don't have variant angina.

Even though they are telling you that you cannot have variant angina and not be aware of it, I have to say that I'm not sure if I can agree with that. Maybe this pain can be mild and/or unnoticeable? Does anyone have any opinion on this, I'm asking the people who already said that this can't be.
I know that there are types of angina in which you don't really feel this chest pain but you still have angina. But if this is the case, then it doesn't even matter that you have angina since the chest pain is the only trouble with it.

It is true that there is a type of angina in which you might not feel any chest pain, you are right about that, but that is not the case with variant angina. In variant angina, you feel this chest pain at rest which can get really strong if you are not treating your angina correctly, which is with some medicines, I'm not sure which.

You are also right about people who have angina but no chest pain: they don't have to worry about it because if they don't have chest pain, then their angina isn't dangerous for them, as simple as that.

Hello there. I think that you are a little bit scared. Well, too scared if you ask me. Of course that maybe you can predict some symptoms or you just don't want to pay attention on them, such as chest pain and occasionally sharp pain that goes right through your chest. But it is impossible to have some angina and not to be aware of it. That is quite impossible. To have some type of the angina you need to have constant symptoms and you also don't feel that good. So, I don't know what is going on in your case but I am pretty sure that you are not dealing with angina. At least, I hope so.