I have been having a lot of pain. Especially when standing for long periods of time. I went for my scrotal ultrasound and found out that I have varicocele on both the left and right side with a hydrocele on the right side as well. To make things worse I have a cyst (not sure what kind) on my left side (I have had it for a long time).

Now I am worried because the doctor says that I should be able to stand the pain that it's not all the time. But if I stand for an hour (I'm a teacher) I am in considerable pain like a burning and aching pain through my groin and right side scrotum.

I heard that for the varicocele it can be operated on and the tubes tied that are causing problems. Has anyone had a procedure like this done? Or can anyone give me any more information. I don't know how I can live without doing something about this.

Any help, ideas or suggestions would be great.

:'(

I can relate to you. I'm also an educator and have recently been diagnosed with a left side variocele. However, I have had pain on my right side and my urologist can't firgure out why. When he did the ultrasound, he diagnosed the left variocele, and saw swelling on the right. It was not a variocele. Prior to the ultrasound he thought i had epidimtis. He put me on 3 rounds of antibiotics that did nothing. You won't believe this: Because I have pain on both sides and the right side has no diagnosis he won't do surgery. I can understand that for now. however, he did not refer me to anyone else to see where my right side pain is. Needless to say, i left frustrated and am going for a second opinion.
I have a ot of pain when i forst get out of bed. Any ideas on what is going on in the right side with testicle and groin pain?

hi av just read your entry i work in an out patient where patient only come in with these cyst , the operation procedures are very short and most times your out on the same day so dont worry theres a good successful rate a lot of them come back for routine check up most of them are happy with the results. :-)

I have had pain in side, hip, testicle, and lower stomache, got a varicocele. Pain for about a year, throwing antibiotics at it. And doctor does not seem to believe there is pain. Has anyone with lots of pain had the operation, and was it succesful? £1500 with Bupa but if it stops the pain it will be worth it.

After an ultrasound about a few years ago I found out that I had a hydrocele, or hydro seal, however its spelled, in my right ball sack. They said it was a tumor I think, but it was non-cancerous, but was what was creating the hydrocele. I had hernia surgery, and they said its fairly common for people to develop hydroceles who have had that kind of operation. They also said it wasn't dangerous or anything, but I could have it operated on if it was causing me pain. I'm not sure if this is the same kind of situation, but for those in this situation heres my experience. It had the right side of my testicle swollen almost the size of a small orange. I decided to get the operation. I was out the whole time, woke up to some pain, and had difficulty walking around for a bit. All things considered I'm glad I had the operation, the pain is gone, and so is the orange sized right ball sack. It really wasn't as big a deal, or the kind of pain I thought it would be. Hope this helps. - Tom

Yeah, some varicocele can be painful.

If you can't stand for an hour, try to arrange your schedule so that you'll be seated for some of that time.

Wear more support...as in athletic supporter, tighter shorts, and jockey shorts, not boxers.

There are opperations to reduce or remove the varicocele, and if the pain is interfering with your lifelihood, most doctors will recommend this. If you are not getting a referral from your doctor, change doctors. You CAN get a second opinion. It's your right. Be prepared to pay for it.

But what do you have to loose but your discomfort and pain.

Good luck.
Let us know what you learn.

I've been diagnosed with varicocele's in my left scrotum and one on the right. I saw a urologist who insisted the pain was NOT the result of the varicocele's. He told me several times that varicocele's don't - or RARELY - cause pain. He also treated me for epididymitis. The pain continues. I decided to get a second opinion. My new urologist says I don't have epididymitis. He ordered kidney x-rays to rule out kidney stones. I don't have stones. Finally the new urologist has scheduled me for surgery to correct the varicocele's!

The pain I've experienced is pretty much the same as others in this forum have mentioned: pain in the scrotum, when the pain isn't there I have aching/soreness in the scrotum, pain or tightness similar to how you feel after you've been in the lower abdomen. I've also had pain that radiates from my left scrotum into my lower abdomen and around into my back. has anyone else experienced this? I have high hopes the surgery will work!

Hi
I got diagnosed with a varicocele on my left side when i was 19. I am now 31 and have just started having pain in the past 2 years? I am fed up with going to uroligists and doctors and them telling me that the pain in my lower abdomen on my left side is not from the varicocele. I get pain in my left testicle with a tightness/dull pain in my lower abdomen and pain to the left kidney on my back.
I have had numorous doses of antibiotics and none of them have done anthing.
My pain seems to be constant and does not change through out the day/night or if im standing or sitting?
My urologist told me to go away and take pain killers. (pontifract hospital in yorkshire, England)
I have since been back to my doctors and demaded to see another urologist.
Does anyone else get this pain in the lower abdomen??
Has anyone had the operation and has it been successful in removing the pain.
Also i have noticed that my sperm has become much more thinner?? more like a watery consistancy??
any one else notice this??
i will keep on adding information to this site everytime i find out anything new from my doctors!!!!
thanks
chris

im 24 and have been experiencing pain in right testicle,lower abdomen with the pain going also in the right leg, for about 4 years now. ive visited about 4 urologists, at first they said its epididymis and gave me antibiotics several times with no effect looking with suspicion on me, as if i was pretending the pain and so. The last time the private doctor mentioned also varicocele but it looked rather as if he was trying a diagnosis without being convinced about it.
I had to give up cycling and running, because when moving the pain becomes too strong. its also worse after ejaculation

I have resigned on visiting more doctors and im slowly settling to the fact it will hurt 4ever.

I also have bad pains on my left side of abdomen and i also think it could be related to my left sided varicocele. Any operations out there that have been successfull?

I have the same sh*t as you guys. My grion, abdomen, and testals hurts like a b***h, the doctots told me i dont have a hernia, i have cysts on my testicals. I dont know what to do, i have been to different doctors and they dont know what the f**k it is. I think everyone this im making this sh*t up.....what should i do!!!!!!!

You, and the others posting on this page appear to have the same symtoms and difficulty getting answers and pain relief from your doctors.
My condition started in late 2003 and I suffered the most agonizing pain you could ever imagine, but for the sake of example it was as if someone grabbed one of my nuts with a vice grip and held it firm for 10 to 18 hours at a time. Morphine had little effect on pain control. I began to research the internet with my symptoms and everything pointed to a condition called Varicocele.

For those of you who have had ultrasounds, get the dictations made by the radiologist who interpreted them. If you see words like enlarged or engorged veins, vessels, etc you probably have varicoceles. Just type "enlarged vessels or veins and groin pain" in a search box and see what you get.

As you start to read about these Varicocels, you will learn they are very common, but why the hell then can't these freak'n overpaid specialist figure it out?

I too was told to take a hike by a urologist, and Mayo Clinic Rochester did not believe me when I told them I felt it was Varicoceles, even though they were as big as life on my ultrasounds. After a period of time they pushed me off to the chronic pain center.

I finally convinced my new urologist to do exploritory surgery and guess what she found, yep, Varicoceles ! Well it took 5 surgical procedures to finally get all of them that had developed during this time, but now I have a new one on the right side.

Now go to Wikipedia and read about Varicoceles there, especially references made to one on the right. If you have more questions or need more information, email me at _[removed]_ and use Varicocele as your subject line.

Best of luck
dje

mine began with pain in my left leg. i couldn't sit down and was very uncomfortable - felt like shouting caus i've been trying to revise for exams. The pain moved to my left testicle and now its only in my right testicle.
I'm feelin super depressed and scared caus it said online that it could be HIV. My doctor said its nonsense and im fine... think i need a second opinion

Second opinion???!?! You are insane ! If you think it's HIV make a blood test, now !

Hi all,
I have also experienced all of the same problems. I have pain in my lower left abdomin that gets worse with physical activity to the point that I can not run for more than a mile. I hurt my lower left abdomin three years back and thought that I had a hernia. I got a MRI and an inguinal check by a lovely doctor and was told I did not have a hernia of any kind and most likely had severe inflammation and scar tissue.

I did physical therapy for awhile and that alleviated some pain for awhile but was hard to maintain a consistent regime. A year after my MRI I started getting a swelling in my left testicle. I thought it was just because of stress and lack of exercise. I finally went to a doctor and a urologist for an ultrasound. They both told I had a hyrdocele or a varicocele and that they go away with time and I should take aspirin regularly.

I tried aspirin for a bit but I dont like taking meds so I began acupuncture. It has done a world of difference for me. The swelling in my testicle has reduced significantly and isnt as painful as before and pain in my hip/lower abs has reduced as well. I have also been able to run at least 3 miles now without intense pain. If you wikipedia "varicocele" you'll note that it has to do with obstruction of blood vessels that run along your spermatic cord to your testicle, which is why it makes sense to have testicle and lower abdominal pain. Therefore if anything is not functioning correctly it is possible to have fluid buildup and therefore a lump and pain. Acupuncture works to unblock the flow of energy and blood in your body. I highly recommend it for people as a homeopathic remedy. Go at least 5 times and have the doctor work on your hip and groin (not as bad as it sounds). You will most likely see results after one or two times going. I go twice a month for this and just for general stress relief. I have also changed my eating habits and eat more anti-inflammatory foods and do alot of stretching.

Have people who have posted here had trauma in the abdomen or testicles?