This happened to me about a year ago and has recently recurred. It starts with my burps smelling oaty. That's the best way to describe it, like Cheerios that have been sitting in milk too long. The smell is heavy and lingers arond my nose after I burp. And I burp and fart a lot more than usual.

Then I get diarrea, very loose, that smells the same. The first time around I threw up a few times, again with the same oaty smell. It stuck around for almost three weeks last time, fading and recurring again almost like clockwork every 7 days.

This time I noticed that before it got it's oaty smell, everything time I burped I also threw-up a little in my mouth. I really would like to know what's going on with me. If it helps, the last time it happened, we had gotten back from India a few weeks earlier. However, I haven't even left my town in months this time. Could it be some kind of parasite?

I have the very same symptoms, have you found out anything about this?

hey,
I have those very same symptoms!! The old cheerios taste in my burp is always how I knew I was gonna be very sick and throwing up. You need to go to a gastointestinal doctor at the hospital. What you have is probaly what I had, a post-viral problem in your stomach.

I too had foul smelling burps, which would proceed an extreme bout of diarrhea. I described them more like a corn chip type burp. I was diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity (Celiac Disease). Now I avoid gluten, and I haven't had those symptoms. Hope this helps!

My mother in law has been burping and it smells like she had a bowl movement in her mouth what is this

I have the same but I dot know how Cheerios smell.. My burps taste/smell same as my diahrea and constant churning in my stomach

Just so people know, this is a symptom of Norovirus, Norwalk or Winter Vomiting Virus.

If you start having diarrhea and belches that smell like cheerios, you know you're going to be blowing like a firehose so get the bucket ready.

Pepto Bismol may be able to nip these symptoms in the bud for some reason that's not well understood.  Norwalk has a tendency to relapse again and again.

yes, exactly like corn and I have an upset stomach. It seems to happen when I drink too much coke. I was wondering if it was too much acid.

Symtoms to chrons disease

Yup, it's Norovirus. Stay hydrated and wash alot cause it's very contagious. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I woke up this morning with a cheerios burp and diaherra. Should i go to the hospital.

OMG I am so glad I searched up what I did! I'm not the only one having g this......sickness! I get it every year around feb-apr and sometimes in Dec. It would get so horrible I'd have to be hospitalized just so I stay hydrated because I can't keep anything down.

But whatever this is has destroyed my stomach so much that no later what I eat (even healthy gluten free foods) will have me trapped in the bathroom for 30min while my bowls decide to empty. and don't get me started if I decide to drink alcohol one night!

I have gone to 10 different t stomach and intestines specialists no one knows what it is!

OMG......my daughter has the exact same symptoms. Whenever she has the "cheerio" burps she knows she will either throw up or have diarrhea or both. I'm working with her pediatrician and she's going the "GERD" track at this point. However, I'm thinking it might be an ulcer. Please keep us updated as to what you find out. Her symptoms also come and go almost like clockwork every 2 weeks for the past few months.

Try adding lots of probiotics to your diet. The last five times my kids have thrown up, and then when I've started having symptoms I stop eating anything except for 1 tsp of cultured vegetable juice every hour. I still get cramps but haven't thrown up any time. At first experiment I thought it was fluke, but 5 successes later it's my go to treatment for anyone in the family feeling gastroenteritis. My IBS has also been cured - used to have these 5-6 attacks per week and now only 1-2 ANNUALLY (and always after eating gluten or dairy or non organic GF foods. Organic is fine. I'm starting to suspect glysophate is my culprit.

I have had the terrible cheerio burps, with gas bloating, diarrheal, and excruciating pain, which has led to hospital trips in the past. I had amalase protein tests, liver function, gall bladder testing all came up negative. The only common thread was red meat. I believe that the proteins have something to do with it. If it was a high fat diet as the cause, I would not be able to eat eggs, cheese, milk, pork, or bacon. I have avoided red meat for 6 years and haven't had another bout since. Try to figure what triggers the episodes, which really sucks because you are going to have to go through the hell, and avoid those foods.