My 66 year old mother in law has just gotten over stomach cancer, hip replacement and knee surgery oh and also has underactive thyroide.  Her knee is not healing properly and she's in bad shape.  She just went back to emergency with very sick stomach and vomitting where they told her again she has a very low red blood cells count.  What does that mean and what causes low red blood cells.  I've heard it could be 20 different variations of anemia.  She is freaking out.

Hi Dmarie,

Low red blood cell counts can be caused by her cancer, certain medications, excessive bleeding (internal and external), basically for many reasons.

Anemia is the name for a low red blood cell count, it is a indication of a problem.

I can only speculate to the cause.  A thorough work up by her doctors is necessary.

Feel free to post back with more information.

Good luck.

Thank you medic-dan...thanks for responding and I will post back with more, even if its the "results" her doc gives her.

My mother in law is still waiting for her so called results for stomach problem, in the mean time she says she has a" thick & fold"? What the heck is that? It's the size of a marble and not malignant. Wikipedia doesn't know either. I get more answers here than anywhere.

I think she means "thickened gastric folds" in the stomach. They can also be called "gastric rugae." Basically it helps the stomach expand when you eat.

They can lead to tumors.

I think you are absolutely right on. Can that cause a sick stomach? It seems she's better but still has a really upset stomach.