my stomach growls a lot and after a while it can get really loud and the growls long. this can get really emabarassing in public. is here any way to stop my stomach from growling without eating?

I too have suffered with a "growling stomach" for almost two years now. Here is one answer to the "growling stomach" problem...

It seems that I have developed an allergy to milk in my late forties. Go figure?? I am the guy who used to always have a yogurt and granola bar for breakfast :-)

I didn't believe my doctor and thought there was some pill I could take that would solve the horrible rumblings, that nearly cost me my job as a business analyst. The nexiums of this world only made me sicker.

Basically, as I understand it, the milk sits in your bowels and ferments. The fermentation causes the growling. I am not sure if this is specifically lactose intolerance or an allergy, but it doesn't really matter.

It is clear that I cannot digest milk any longer. Is there anyone else out there who has also developed a milk allergy, late in life? Please blog for everyone's best interest.

The difficult part is that many foods contain milk. I thought I was good by avoiding my yogurt, etc., but it is much deeper than that. Look at all your breads, milks, meat coatings, turkey browning, soups, cookies, cake, etc. ingredients. Milk products are in so many foods, it will scare you...

You can (and should be) be medically tested for lactose intolerance. However, it can mean sitting in a hospital while they take multiple breath readings over the course of hours. I tried this simple, definitely NOT scientific, test. Drink two large 8 ounce glasses of 1 percent or fat-free milk on a day when you can afford to get sick. Times vary, but it took almost ten hours before I became very ill. It is clear if you cannot digest milk products...

The time delay is the biggest problem with diagnosing the "stomach growling" sickness. What you ate yesterday evening could definitely be causing your problems this afternoon. Your breakfast may have nothing to do with your symptoms! You can only be very analytical about your food and with God's help you will find your specific food allergy...

My stomach growling is definitely under control now. Your diet is so important in your overall health! Occasionally I will still get some growling, but in an emergency, a PepCid/antacid will control it pretty well. My heart and prayers go out to all the other people suffering from this "growling stomach" problem.

I hope this posting helps in some small way...

-Michael

Yes i did started having this growling problem and always kept wondering what was the problem.,now after reading this blog i reaiise that i have been drinking milk early in morning since 2 weeks and since then i have started having this growls.Thank you so much..will stop drinking milk and lets see how it works out.

I have had this problem since high school, I am now in college and the problem seemed to get worse and worse. Finally i said enough is enough and went to see a gastroenterologist. Thank god i did because i have finally solved my embarrassing problem and would like to spread the word that there is hope, we can finally go into a quiet room without worrying about stomach noises! Let me start off by saying, the problem got worse because it turns out i have become lactose intolerant this year (which sucks because i love dairy products), so there was actually 2 problems with my stomach.
I solved the one relatively easy by going to the local grocery store and getting these tablets called Lactaid, it basically gives your stomach the enzymes that it is missing to digest dairy, so i take one or two of these before i eat anything with dairy in it and i can be worry free (as long as i don't overdo it).
The other problem (the long, loud growling sound my stomach made when it was empty) turned out to be a side effect of IBS; which is weird because i don't really have any other symptoms other than the stomach noises. So my gastroenterologist prescribed me a pill that blocks the stomach muscles from receiving the signal to growl, and i take it as needed. This was kind of a pain in the ass to get because i had to see the gastroenterologist first, but let me tell you now that its completely worth it.
As a precaution i also carry around gas x strips just in case my stomach makes noises, and let me tell you, these three items have saved my college life. I used to have to skip class sometimes because of how embarrassing my stomach was and sometimes it wouldn't shut up for hours (normally because of the dairy i was eating for breakfast), but now i am worry free with these relatively inexpensive products.

For anyone that was wondering, the pill is called dicyclomine and it is 6 dollars for 120 pills.
Sorry for the long post. but i had to get the word out since i used to scan the internet for solutions... hopefully this will help you all.
to sum it all up, what works best for me is dicyclomine, lactaid (before a meal), and gasx when i feel like taking precautions.
Good luck!

I enjoyed reading your posting. Thank you so much for sharing! I have the exact same problem as you with my stomach and it was so sad to the point that it was affecting my work. I'm finally seeing a Gastroenterologist tomorrow and hopefuly he can diagnose me with these same simple remedies you mentioned. Again, thank you for sharing. These are awful and uncomfortable conditions to have and hope we can spread the word to share.

Thank you for the post Michael. I have this problem of growling stomach for a year. i was worried because it happened a lot even after eating. I went for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy and everything is normal. I went for a blood test and i have Helicobacter pylori I took a packof antibiotics but still the growling didnt stop. My Dr. just said its my diet but doctors do no tell you much eh.So i started searching on what people have to say which is even more helpful.maybe i should get myself tested for lactose.

RJ.

R u serious, mine is hurting and growling :/

i had stomach growls badly and was very embarassing - i checked this website by coincidence and i learnt that it might be milk as its fermented.

I tried to stay without milk today and it worked !

i say thank you for enlightening me !

For those of you that love your milk you might experiment with different brands. I have found that all milk is most define itely NOT the same when you are lactose intolerant. Promise Land, Organic milk and Braums milk didn't produce the stomach gas that most of the other brands did. I'm not sure if it is due to something they don't feed their cows or something they don't medicate with. Same thing goes with ice cream and cheese made from their milk. I don't have symptoms when I have a full bowl of Braums ice cream but am in the bathroom for an hour with a Dairy Queen mini blizzard. Something to think about.....

Definitely not something for you to stress about. Have your mother change the brand of milk she buys and see if that helps. If it doesn't then stop drinking milk and you should be fine.

Thanks, hope this is the answer. Late 40's and been thinking a gallon of milk a week might be overdoing it!

This may not be the answer you want to hear...

My stomach growling problems stopped when I stopped drinking alcohol.  It took a few weeks of abstinance to really get my stomach health back to normal.

Drinking alcohol every day can definitely cause your stomach to growl after meals...

Hope this helps...

Yes, I am 46yrs old and I have noticed that when i have a mochaccino in the morning by mid morning, my belly starts to grumble badly. The problem is that I love having my early morning coffee but have come to the realisation that with my favorite drink comes the terrible noises. A medical friend said that I might be lactose intolerant. I so don't want to acknowledge it.

Lactose intolerance is not a milk allergy. They are two different things. Neither of which take 10 hours to produce symptoms. You should go back to your doctor.

My stomach has been growling quite a bit and I was allergic to milk as a baby. I did notice that it's worse when I drink or eat frozen yogurt or ice cream. Think I'll lay off and see what happens.