Back in October, I started noticing "white stuff" in my stools, sometimes with a little yellow if I looked closer. I had never experienced this and at first I thought I had parasites because of the shape this white stuff would sometimes take on and the way it would sometimes be hanging off of the stool. After it happened the first time, it continuously happened. Sometimes I would see a lot and sometimes just a little and a few times, none at all. I noticed that if I was a little constipated beforehand, I would see even more of it and I could expect to see it every time.

I made several doctor's appointments and I had a stool sample and culture done; both came back negative. A few weeks ago my doctor decided to refer me to a specialist since he couldn't figure out what could be causing this, especially because it had never happened before and is now continuously happening since it began. I was referred to Mayo since I only live 40 minutes away but my appointment was denied. I'm on a medication called Accutane and I have about a month left of taking it so I thought I would wait until after I had finished to see if that was perhaps causing it before I made an appointment for another referral. However, I've noticed it seems to be getting worse. Now, every time I pass a stool, I see this white stuff that I have now decided must be mucus. I see patches of both yellow and white now, although white is still the primary color I see. The amount I see still varies from time to time but it's always there.

As far as I know, I don't have any other symptoms. I have always gotten a little constipated from time to time and my doctor said that was nothing to worry about. I do get abdominal pain at times but I've always had that and it's nothing too severe, and something that has gone on far before this started happening. I have had anal itching, which also made me think I had parasites, but I'm wondering now if something in my stools is causing that itch? That could be nothing as well though.

If this doesn't stop after my medication, I am definitely going back in for another referral but, in the mean time, does anyone know what could be causing this mucus? :-(

Hi there.

Have you ever went to see your doctor?

Small amount is not risky, but in the other hand if you have a lot of it, that can be a problem.

White mucus in stool is pretty much normal, in smaller amounts. But when this mucus is yellow, it can be a problem. In so many cases, yellow mucus in stool remnants can in some cases be a cause for concern, because it is well known that yellow stools in general can refer to troubles with various organs. Mucus can be yellow because of some infection and inflammation. The stomach, liver and pancreas can all be affected if yellow stools persists. 

Hi! I found that stool normally contains a small amount of mucus, but passing stools with visible amounts of mucus can be from a variety of causes. Mucus in the stool is a common symptom of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and ulcerative colitis. In ulcerative colitis, the mucus membrane of the intestine becomes inflamed and develops ulcers. These ulcers bleed and produce pus and mucus. Bacterial infections, such as those from Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, and Yersinia, may also cause mucus in the stool.

I too have had these kind of symptoms along with incessant stomach growling for 8 months now. I was also on accutane for 6 months preceding my symptoms. I stopped the medication but I still have not had a normal stool for the last 8 months and it has not gotten any better. Always yellow and hard or yellow and wet. Sometimes green. I'm wondering if you have had any luck or found answers from your doctor.

Hello concerned. Can you pls update me as to what happened with your diagnosis. It seems that this is a post almost a year ago. I too am experiencing similar symptoms and anxious to know what happened with you. Pls let me know asap.

sohail sarwar 26/11/2012

hi dear hope u will get rid of this soon same condition has been starting with me when continously i fel anal itiching i went to surgeon he diagnosed me polype after removing that problems are still there