Hi, my mother had a hip replacement surgery two months ago. She did some light exercises while she was in the hospital. The surgeon suggested that she should continue with some kind of physical activity at home to help with the adjustment process. The thing is that he didn't explain which types of exercises should she be doing? I don't believe that he thought that she should start jogging to strengthen the hip muscles?

Hi, of course that the surgeon didn't have in mind jogging or any kind of regular workout programs. I am surprised that he didn't refer your mother to a physical therapist to help her chose the right kind of exercises for her. Maybe you should try to find one that can help you. The hip muscle exercises for the hip replacement patient should be done in the presence of a qualified professional. The physical therapist can monitor your mother and make sure that the hip muscle exercises are done correctly. This is the only way for your mother to strengthen her hip muscles and get a chance to walk again on her own without the pain.