? hi everyone...im 19 yrs old, i experiencing this uncomfortable feeling in my neck for the longest time. my neck always feels heavy, full, thick, and like there is a lot of pressure on it. before all this was happeneing i had a real hard time catching my breath it was scary i would feel like i had to yawn to breathe, i would see doctors and they would say don't worry your fine...but i felt so uncomfortable. so i fianlly went and saw a specialist and he said it was as if i was running a half a marathon everyday and he diagnosed me with poor lung function because i wasn't treated. i was then put on prednesone for 7 weeks and it helped the breathing and in the process it helped my neck. i didn't feel that pressure when i was on it, i felt good. but it suxed because i had to get off of it because my breathing was better and i started getting a fullness in my face as a side effect. but im still suffering with this feeling an it is really thick full feeling everyday, i went to to see a thyroid specialist and she said everything showed negative i got an antibodies test and blood test. and she wasn't even really listening to what i was saying i felt so rushed, so im going to get a secong opinion nect week, i have gotten an MRI, X-RAY CAT SCAN, barrium swallow but everything showed up negative then why do i still feel like this. so i went to see an ENT today and he said he felt bad because i was in there last year around the same time for the same problem but it wasn't solved so he said i have a lot of post nasal drip which i do have cause of the lungs all the mucus coming up especially after i eat. it's like glue like, real gross. it's like web but im not on any allergy medications because i wasn't sure if that was the problem and i didn't want to go on ti if that wasnt it. i want to rule out everything. so here i am. so the ENT said i should see an gastrologist does that sound like it could be for my problem he said you can sometimes get that spasm if mucous comes up even if you don't feel it it's there and it feels stuck. but i don't have acidy type thing or heart burn i don't have any of that. im just so tired because i want something to work but it hasn't be solved yet because i haven't gotten a diagnosis. and i can't take any allergy medication because he said that will mask the problem when the guy goes down my throat with the scope, the gastrologist, so please does anybody have any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated...or does this sound like anything anybody out there has does anybody have any feedback...anything there not just words this is my life, just like everyone else on here, were on here for help so please anyone~Alyssa~ ?

Dear Allysa,
I can relate. For about 2 months now I have a heavy, tight feeling in my throat. It feels as though something is dislocated. Everyone says it is globus hystericus and caused by anxiety. Eating eases the tightness. It's better in the morning than it is at night. It becomes quite unbearable at times. My thyroid came up normal and doctors and phys. therapists says everything is normal. I can't hardley stand it anymore. Everyone says get your mind on something else, but since it's always there, it's hard to. I can relate.

Kate

Alyssa & Kate,

I have the same problem for the last month, it's as if someone is strangling me and I have difficulty breathing. tight neck just below my jawline. no fever. I've always had sinus congestion problems and have seen ENT but this is the first time my neck felt tight. I had an CT Sinus and it was perfectly normal but that was 2 years ago. Hot tea or candy does help to relax it but the overall feeling is depressing and weakening physically. I take vit C supplements to help but haven't found any answers. So you're not alone.

Jose

I have not had this problem, but have had physical problems with a psychological base. Since your docs have tested you for everything, and told you it is due to stress or anxiety, I think a solution you should try is stress management. Yoga, exercise, meditation, etc. are all excellent choices. Another option would be to see a psychiatrist, to rule out any mental illness, and once you've ruled out that, seek the help of a therapist. Your feelings of helplessness and hopelessness concern me, but it is easy to understand why you feel that way.

I also can relate. I have had a tightness in my throat for awhile. I don't know if you feel this way. But it is almost as if I am swallowing air. I feel as if I need to burp but can't. Unfortunatley nothing seems to ease it. It is also worse at night when lying down. It is becoming extremely unbearable.

Stacy

I have been having exactly the same symptons and was really thinking the worst. I find at times at night I wake up chocking, but now having read your submissions I realise I have been also under tremendous stress lately, so hoping that this is all it is. I think a visit to the doctor to put my mind at rest is called for though. But nice to know I am not alone

I don't know much about this subject you are asking about - the full tight feeling you are having in your throat, but I do know that I just started feeling a "tight" feeling in my throat and ears and found out it was my blood pressure being too high. Has anyone checked you for that? Also, yeast infections can be systemic (all over) your body and can cause a lot of heavy phlegm when you eat - especially when you eat sugar or carbohydrates - like bread, chips, flour products, etc. I pray you find the answer - and pray and ask God for wisdom and heailng. He will do it. He loves you.

I have had tightness in my throat now for over 10 years. It would come and go in the beginning but now is is more often tight than not. I went to 3 specialist on the problem. One of the specialist diagnosed me with a possible Thyroid tumor and sent me to another specialist. When I got to the other specialist they sprayed my throat and put a tube down it, said I had Acid Reflux and sent me home with a piece of paper of what not to do's. I started crying right in the Dr. office because it didn't seem like he was listening to me, to later receive a phone call about 6 months later from that office trying to schedule me for another test, because they missed the part of what I was refferred to them in the first place. in never went for the test because I could not get off work again. Now I feel like my throat is having spasms, & an even worse clicking. It is very discouraging. How many test can you have and nobody can help. I found some helpful information when I did a Google search on tightness of throat. Something called Cricopharyngeal Spasm describes my symptoms quite accurately. Sometimes I wonder if has anything to do with not being hydrated, I have eye pain as well and they seem to almost go hand in hand, but they may also be unrelated. Good like with a diagnosis.

Wow, I really hate this and reading all the post, seems no one or doc can figure this out?
I have all of the above and sort of nail it down a tad bit. First of all campbell's chicken
noodle soup gives me allot of relief for about 4 to 6 hours no idea why. The doc says its
acid reflex so put me on prilosec but I knew it wasn't acid reflex because I had it years
ago. Didn't help a tad bit.
Now before this happen I just started my allergy shots was about 2 months into it, and
also was on flovent hfa 44mcg, astelin, fexofenadine and nasal decongestant pills oh was
also taking zantac150 pills. Once this tightness and gag feeling came I drop and stopped
everything except the fexofenadine pills. I still got all the tightness, and have no problem
breathing just that feeling of choking, that starts near the shoulders and up to the jaw area,
but have no lump like others, ect... But when I got on the computer and started gaming, it gets
intense and my neck just frooze up big time had to lay down and think different (total scared of
course) woke up was a bit better. The systems have to be from stress or anxiety but I been gaming
for many years and nothing I been doing has changed. I not sure if the allergy shots (since they
go up in dose little at a time) cause this but I won't know for I stopped them a week ago. Guess
I have to wait till it's out of my system to really get a clue on it.
Now for the last 3 months I had this pain in my hip left side but no exrays, mris, or bone scans
could find a thing yet to this day (not sure if related). But up to my neck again something did
trigger it, but just like you all I don't know what and again I don't know how to stop it. The
doc wants me to see a throat doc and i'm somewhat against this because it had nothing to do with
the acid reflex that he thought it was. I really don't want to go around to different doc's because
in this day and age docs have to be careful and I do believe they care they just won't admit they
don't know. I just a complete physical and I am in perfect health. This has to be some sort of
anxiety mind related cause, but just so impossible to catch it.
I hope that someone has a cure about this and please it you get better come back here and tell
us. I want to find an answer like all you do. I'm 38 at 140lbs always been this way never changed
in weight or health just allergys. Could the allergy shots triggered this or a simple pain in
another part of your body cause this or just a simple neck strain that ain't healing up right?
Lost as you all are, please help

Now I seen all the doc's except for throat doc. I don't plan too because there's nothing
wrong in the throat that they can do, yea maybe check for cancer ect... But I come accross
alot of information, if I chew gum the pain goes away big time. I'm seeing a chiropractic
and when I leave I'm feeling real good but only for about an hour to 3 hours. I really think
its a pinch nerve somewhere. Reason I still think this is because I developed a pain in
my hip left side about 3 months ago and with all kinds of exrays no one can tell me why,
so I bought a back messager from walgreens and when I use this on my back, my hip hurts
bad, and my throat feels a tad better. So I believe something, somewhere in the back area
has been causing this problem. I thought it was stress but I still don't think it has
to much to do with it but yet I might be wrong. Stress can tighted you up pretty good
without knowning. At work the other day I was at the computer working and was pissed off
about something and bam I tighten up so bad scared the c**p out of me. But now the other
night I was watching TV, no stress no thoughts just totally relax and bam it came on from
the way I was laying down. I switched sides and it went away. This is tricky and I have
talked to others about this and they have been using Celexa for panic attacks ect...
and has helped them, so when they go off it it returns. Now I haven't tried Celexa for I
don't want a pill to sovle a problem I
have to take for life (not just yet last resort) but the doc has me on Alprazolam .25mg 3
a day but I refuse to take them that way. I use 1 at night before I sleep to hopefully
relax me when I sleep and let the mucsles relax. Only on night 3 so it's hard to say.
For right now I chew gum Trident when I feel it coming on and helps.
Yet I do still have the problems and it's gotten better but I so have the tightness
and hot neck with once in a will very small rash each side, that iches. Comes and goes when it
starts hurting and tightening up, so I use Ibuprofen that seems to help. I don't get that choking feeling
near as much as I use too. Still an on going problem but seems to slowing fixing it's self.
Like I say stress and anitxy might play a part roll in this but also a pinch nerve can
also be a part. If I'm on the computer I chew gum since I do alot of gamming it gets intence
and I tighten up back without relizing it. Again stress ect.. but I been gamming go over
8 years day by day and never had this happen. Again this is why I go back to the back area
having playing a part in this problem. put it this way if my left hip hurts with nothing to
show why but messaging my back causing it to hurt more brings me closer to believing it might
be causing my shoulders and neck area to hurt. I know its a guessing game and people on here have had this problem
but haven't come back to say what fix they have done to help them. Which I wish they would of.
Every little thing can be a fix but its hard to compare if you don't come back. The real and only
thing in here thats really help me thinking is that I won't choke to death when that feeling
comes has help me thinking process alot. So in the mean time for those still lokking maybe what I say above
might help. I did by a new bed help the tossing part alot and sheets on the ground in the morning.
The messager on my back has pin pointed the a nerver problem (stress, anexity, pinched or a pinched nerve).
I'm 38 and my phycial is perfect including x-rays blood test ect.. oh yea my doc wanted me to see
a sico doctor, I looked at him and said when I ready to kill myself I'll go but I'm not depressed
maybe lonely but not a freak just yet. I really getting sick of the doc's pushing you off to someone
else because there's no answer. P.S. not acid reflex I seen the gigo man (gastroenterology)

SOUNDS LIKE ACID REFLUX TO ME!!!

Sorry to hear no answers to help with this symtom of thicknessin the throat.

At least you don't have to worry about the nut offering the last post

What are the warning signs and symptoms of aortic dissection?

Aortic dissections are commonly found in people with high blood pressure, arteriosclerotic vascular disease, in individuals with a family history of aortic (or thoracic) dissection and more rarely associated with congenital cardiovascular disorders (Marfan’s syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and congenital valvular disorders).

"Stabbing" pain in the back is a common symptom of an aortic dissection. In some cases, people present with pain in the chest. This pain may be confused with angina (commonly referred to as "chest pain" and a warning sign of a possible heart attack). The main difference between pain resulting from dissection of the aorta, and angina due to lack of blood supply to the heart muscle, is its sudden and intense onset. The pain is characterized as a "ripping" or "tearing" sensation. This sudden pain can be felt in the back, chest, neck, or jaw.

These are important differences to understand. Why? Because a common recommendation to those with angina or "chest pain" (that may result in a heart attack) is to chew an aspirin to thin the blood. This is NOT the case if you are experiencing an aortic dissection. Thinning the blood for a person with aortic dissection may cause more blood to leak out of the aorta. This internal bleeding can lead to death.

In some cases, people do not experience any pain. Instead, you may experience any of the following symptoms:
Distorted mental capacity (due to lack of blood supply to the brain)
Numbness or tingling sensation in the arms or legs (due to lack of blood supply to the spinal cord)

I get these kinds of tightness in my throat, heart beating in my ears and even pressure in my face, and think they are blood pressure. One thing I realized that makes it come on is when I'm wearing tight waste on my clothing. There is a big artery in your stomach and a tight waist band is doing the same thing as being choked around the neck. .... well, it isn't cutting off your air, but doing the same thing as in stopping blood from flowing freely. Jeans are the worst. I was sitting here experiencing all those symptoms and thought, "Oh, no, I have these same pants on again and took them off and put on my gown, and guess what? I don't have them 1 minute later. Check and see if that is happening to you.

I have the same symptoms of heavy, full, choking feeling in my throat. Now that winter is here I am wanting to wear turtlenecks for warmth and find that I absolutely cannot stand it. It's unbearable and just further emphasizes the choking feeling in my throat. Have had my thyroid tested and all my bloodwork is fine. Have had anxiety problems and panic attacks in the past and been under a LOT of stress lately. Had a 3 week vacation in September and no symptoms at all. Then back at work in the 2nd week it all started. It HAS to be stress-related then. Hang in there! Check out paniccenter.net - lots of useful information there. Hope you are all feeling better and I wish you all good health and the best in 2007!

hello. i have been having the same problems too. i seriously don't know what it is... i mean, i have lots of anxiety.. and asthma too... butim seriously really scared and want to go to teh doctor all the time because i feel there is seriously somthing wrong, my neck feels swollen too

Hi everyone, I am so glad I have found this site and I am not going to die due to the pressure in my neck. I will start off by telling you all what I have had done to rule out any serious illnesses. I have had a brain scan and told all that they found my brain behind my left eyeball so all ok and normal there. I had a heart scan, done the test on the tread mill with all wires attached to me and wore a heart monoter box for 24 hours, all was ok there. Along with many blood tests every thing was ok. I had a camera down my throat twice and apart from a small hiatias hernia all is ok. (Still had the symptoms though) so went to see a ENT specialist privately as I still thought I was going to keel over any time now. What he told me was (after putting a camers up my nose and down to my osophagas) of which I paid for the privalidge was my osophagus was going into spasams, abit like cramp and that causes the presure in my neck and throat the worse senario was that it would block my airway and cause me to pass out, when I have passed out everything relaxes and I will breath again, he said it so matter of factley I must admit it put me at ease, he said it is a very nasty experiance but it will not kill me and I have to learn what to eat and what not to eat as it all relates from the stomach and different foods affect different people, so I went online to a company called Bionetics and had a food alergy test done, I must admit when the results came back and I left out the food from my diet it did help.Milk was one of them but I keep forgetting there is milk in a lot of food stuff, so at this moment in time i am suffering big time. The doc put me on Omeprazole 20mg twice a day, brill tablets also diazepam 2 mg but I only take one when the presure is really bad to relax the mussels. At least now I know I will not die even though I feel like I will some days. It helps to read or do something you really enjoy doing to take your mind off of it. Eat small and often and keep a food diary. So anything else you want to know list here and I will help you. Sorry for spelling mistakes and a happy new year to you all.