hAVE BEEN DIAGNOSES with Reg. Myofascial Pain syndrome. have very tight muscles across my upper back, they really feel like very dried, stretched jerky, with knots of muscles under the shoulder blades and more centered around cervical 7 & 8.
I've learned to lie down on the knots with a golf ball for a minute under one trigger point and then stretch it for 60-90secs.

In the mean time I've gotten pains in my outer hips, making it not much fun to walk alot, that are supposedly referred pain from the upperback tightenings.

Poor posture and the way you handle stress are the culprits here. All I;ve used is the trigger point pressure with the ball and a nice long stretch afterwards. There are some excericises a Phys. Therapipst can show you but you need a second person to do them for you, and they only work for hours...

Does it iver go away? I take NOrtriptyline for nighttime deeper muscle pain relief. It certainly is a wierd syndrome. Anybody have it or had it?

I'd love to chat about it. Thanks _[removed]_

I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY UPPER BACK AND MY SON WILL HAVE TO PUT HIS ENTIRE BODY WEIGHT (140 LBS) ON HIS ELBOW INTO MY SHOULDER BLADES TO RELEIVE THE TIGHTNESS. I SIT ALL DAY AND TYPE ON A COMPUTER, BUT THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR YEARS.
I LOVE TO LAY ON A SMALL HARD BALL FOR TEMPORARY HELP; OR STRETCHING EXERCISES. STRESS AND POOR POSTURE ARE DEFINATE FACTORS FOR ME.
I HAD NO IDEA THIS PROBLEM HAD A NAME TO IT.

GET A GREAT RAULFING (SP?) (DEEP TISSUE) MASSAGE EVERY MONTH TO HELP OUT. BUT MAKE SURE YOU USE HEAT THERAPY VERY OFTEN AT HOME AND BEFORE THE MASSAGE STARTS. OR YOU COULD HAVE A VEY BRUISED BACK. GET A REFERRAL FROM A FRIEND, BEFORE GOING TO A THERAPIST.
I ALSO HAVE SIATICA (THE SIATIC NERVE IN HIP). USE THE BALL FOR THIS AS WELL.

EVE

Sounds much like fibromyalgia. I have the same symptoms, also in my thighs...

I have horrible pains in my piriformis mussle and have Rhumatoid Arthritis and the pain from the mussle spasms was worst than the RA pain. I tried massage therapy and that would work for about 6 hours, the massage therapist recommended that I take two tennis balls and put them in a sock and space the balls so that they applied pressure to the painful spot. I was able to get some relief from this as long as I followed with streaching exercises that my PT gave me. All of this still didn't make the problem go away until I went on  60 days of cyclobenzaprine long with all of the above. Mussle spasms cause pain and pain causes mussle spasms so they both feed each other and this is how I broke the cycle. I also take morphine for RA. Watch your posture and how you sit in a chair, you need to keep your back straight. 

i hope this works for you, this is what I did and I feel your pain

MGH