Hi, folks. Many people talk about bad effects of arteriosclerosis. I would like to know what long-term consequences are of this process. This would mean a lot to me and to other people who read this as well. I would really appreciate all the info I can get about this topic. Thanks!

Hi, there. There are many long-term consequences of arteriosclerosis. It all depends which arteries are affected. If the arteries in the limbs are affected, then the circulation in legs and arms is compromised. It is called peripheral arterial disease. If the arteries that lead blood to the heart (coronary arteries) are affected, then there is coronary disease, angina pectoris or even heart attack. If cerebral arteries are affected, then transitory ischemic attack (TIA) or even stroke is possible. Arteriosclerosis can cause aneurysm – a bulge in the wall of an artery. Renal artery’s arteriosclerosis can affect kidney functioning. That is why arteriosclerosis must be prevented by a proper lifestyle.