Hi. I have one serious issue. I am scared that I might have a yeast infection. It all started last night after intercourse. Since that, my vagina hurts, it is itchy and I have some vaginal discharge that has no smell. I never had this infection before so I really don't know am I right, but according to some symptoms that my sister had a few years ago, I think that I might have this infection. Sure, I will make an appointment with my gynecologist, I don't have problems with it at all. Just wanna know - what type of vaginal discharge do you have when having a yeast infection?

Hi Guest,

The usual color of your vaginal discharge when you are having a yeast infection should be white and it shouldn't really be smelly (if it is smelly, it could mean that there is another bad thing going on here) but it should be thick and cheese. When it comes to itchiness, if you are feeling itchy down there, it could definitely be a sign that you are having a yeast infection but I think that all that you can do now is just guess, there is no need to play a guessing game here, just go and talk to your gynecologist.

I think that you shouldn't think about this at all until you go and talk to your gynecologist. Let him examine you and then you will know for sure whether or not you are having a yeast infection. Worrying and thinking about it now won't do any good for you because you cannot possibly know if you have this infection or not so just remain calm, do whatever you usually do during the day and don't you worry about this. Make an appointment with your gynecologist, tell him about your vaginal discharge, about its color, and he will tell you what's going on.

You should tell us about the color of your vaginal discharge since you already said that you got it, then we might be able to tell you more about your condition because a lot of things depend on your vaginal discharge color. There are some diseases and conditions which have the same symptoms as you are having (your vagina hurts and it is itchy) but have different vaginal discharge colors. It should be white if you are having a yeast infection, at least that is what I know but I guess that it would be better to talk to your gynecologist about this.

Thick and white. That is how my vaginal discharge looked like when I was having a yeast infection. It had no smell at all so I thought that it was normal but once my vagina became itchy, I figured out that it would be smart to go and pay my gynecologist a visit. After a short examination and a couple of question about my vaginal discharge he told me that I was having a yeast infection. Well, it wasn't really much of a surprise but I got over it, that was a couple of years ago, I am completely okay now.

There are a few symptoms that you should pay attention at if you are scared of this type of infection.

Generally, the most common symptoms are itching and vaginal discharge, that you need to observe all the time.

When it comes to discharge, it is usually thick, white and it usually looks...let's say almost like cottage cheese. The discharge will be odorless so you won't recognize it by the smell. Also, there are some other signs of yeast infection, such are burning, redness, and irritation of the vaginal area. Severe yeast infections may cause swelling of the lips of the vagina. It can be sore as well. 

Why do you even think that you have a yeast infection?

What have you done? When you are asking some questions about this, you should tell us all. 

Sure, you can observe some symptoms, but you can't be totally sure without visiting your health provider. Sometimes girls do believe that this discharge that you are having when you are dealing with a yeast infection is normal. 

Go to your health care provider and he will use a cotton swab to take a sample of your vaginal discharge. The sample is put on a slide along with a drop of a special chemical and your gynecologist will take this sample to the lab.