hi i've been having excess vaginal discharge about one or two weeks before my period. it is a milky color and doesn't really smell bad or anything. sometimes quite alot comes out and i have to go to the toilet alot to wipe it away. is this normal? is there anything i can do to help. (i'm a virgin by the way)

Well, this can be called excessive discharge because vaginal discharge isn’t usually so heavy. Normal vaginal mucus/discharge is typically clear, milky white or slightly yellow and just like yours has no odor or accompanying itching and burning.

Women experience the most discharge around ovulation, 14 days before they next period. This is exactly when you felt yours although it was quite excessive. Women don’t usually have to run into toilets to clear it, but everybody’s different and your amounts may be just as normal.

If this excessive discharge appeared just around ovulation and then subsided, it is probably nothing to worry about. However, if it persists, it could be yeast infection that has nothing to do with sexually transmitted diseases. Yeast infection is an overgrowth of the yeast that naturally lives in our vaginas. The overgrowth of these organisms may be caused after an antibiotic treatment, excessive douching and vaginal washing, wearing non-cotton underwear, etc. Yeast infection usually has accompanying symptoms like swelling of the vaginal lips, redness, itching and a nasty odor and discharge is usually yellow and may look like cottage cheese. However, not all of these symptoms need to be present.

Considering that your discharge is milky and you have no other symptoms, I suppose you are ok. If the discharge persists or becomes too annoying, you could pay a visit to a gynecologist and see if there was something you can do about it.

Excessive douching and vaginal washing could cause excessive discharge without causing yeast infection.

I have been having the same thing vaginal discharge that is yellow, the doctor has ran a 5 cultures and they are all negative , he assured me its normal and changed my birthcontrol, its gotten a little better but it is still yellow /whitish. I guess its normal

I had the same excessive discharge like you. Soaked through panty liners in no time at all. I had a gyno examination and everything was fine. I was given Sporasec for a week and MetroGel which cleared it all up in a matter of days, but it came back after a couple of days. I continued using the MetroGel for another week or so, but I have found that by eating huge amounts of yoghurt has helped tremendously. Just plain non fat yoghurt. The vinegar wash didn't help much. Just to let you know, I am way past menopause, and my discharge had no odour and there was no itching or irritation. I was told that my problem came from keeping on wet bathing suits. I always wear cotton underwear.

it sounds like I have similar issues. I am 22 and I am not sexually active. I have had varying amounts of discharge during my cycle for the past couple years. It seems normal, it is clear and liquidy for the most part. However there is a smell associated with it. I notice it in class if I don't cross my legs and i get worried that other people can tell. I notice it even if I just changed my underwear. It is not a fishy foul odor but more like a stuffy room smell. I don't know how to describe it except i can recognize it in public. Is it possible that the pantyliners I use or my underwear produce the smell with my discharge? Will a certain fabric make a difference? I don't notice it much when I wipe but the smell lingers on my pants if i'm having extra heavy discharge. It's weird...i just wonder maybe no one else can even recognize it...it's just that i know what it is.

I know that a slight discharge is normal and that it increases around the time of ovulation. However, after ovulation my discharge remained the same. It is not bothersome, but it is a little more than normal. What could cause this?

I would suggest you see your doctor. You may have strep B which is normally found in the body and is usually not a problem unless you are pregnant. This strep is easily treated with penicillin. Another concern is the herpes virus. Most people are not aware that a heavy discharge that may be just white or slightly yellow can be a sign of herpes. The magority of people with this virus have it for years with no sympyoms and are not aware they even have it. A vaginal culture will come back clean if the doctor only checks for bacteria. The doctor must submit a culure specifically for the herpes virus to get a positive result and then should order a blood test to verify if there were no other symptoms. Unfortunately alot of doctors do not check for this if there are no obvious herpes symptoms. A person with herpes can still spread the virus even if they do not have obvious symptoms. They are asymptomatic viral shedders. Some research indicates that 1 in 4 people have this virus with 500,000 new cases each year and many more that go undiagnosed. The difficulty with cases that have no symptoms is knowing when you are most contagious. Viral suppressant drug therapy such as valtrex can suppress the virus and should be started. If two people in a relationship are both completely faithful and are both asymptomatic shedders valtrex may not be necessary. Please see your doctor and ask to be checked for this. I wish you luck.

I am 13 and have had excess discharge (white, no smell) even before I got my period - 12. I'm not sexually active at all. I'm extremely embarrassed by it and I really would like to not have to see a doctor for it. Help!

Try not having cold drinks (especially with ice cubes) for 1 or 2 months and see if the discharge during ovulation reduce.