For the upcoming year.

For the last couple of years now, I've put off marathon training, and always decided I could run a half. But with my half training, I never got motivated. I trained very poorly, and slowly. Much of the time it was because of a lack of time to train. As a result of this, I'd get discouraged and just scrap it.

So, I'm thinking, why am I trying to force things? I'm going to focus on shorter races. 5K and 10K's. and running faster. Faster workouts, shorter distances...take less time. More races availible to see how I am progressing. All that kind of jazz.

Funny...I'm doing about the same thing as you are doing next year...I'm planning on moving back to the shorter stuff (5k, 8k, 10k, and perhaps a 1/2 marathon)...First I feel that I need a mental break from all that marathon training I've been doing basically all of this year. It does take up a substantial amount of time and energy. Secondly my short distance performances do need catching up...The endurance base is there, so I'll like to work more on my speed next year and set some good PRs.

A long-time runner buddy of mine has long said about training, "If you can't run far, run fast."

coach = man after my own heart.

/now if you'd just add in cycling...

but what if you aren't fast? I can never do with a 5k what I can with a marathon. And something about getting beat by 15 year olds---it just doesn't happen in marathons. Long distances give something to those that are patient and experienced. Youth and talent will get the 5k and I just 'hate' being beat by girls that could be my daughter (geesh I'll be saying granddaughter soon and there'll be an entire caseload of them)

That's right. "If you can't run fast, run far".
I'll be stepping up to ultras soon.

I'm actually looking forward to racing again.
sounds to me like you've made the right decision