Hey. Today I have notice that something pretty weird is happening with my new dog. I don’t know do you remember, but I was telling you about him. I found him in shelter and he was so adorable. Since that day, I didn’t have any problems with him. But, today, he is weird, pretty weird :/ His behavior is not like before, and I am not used on it. My friend told me that those are typical signs of depression triggers in dogs. He doesn’t want to eat, he doesn’t want to sleep :/ I don’t know what to do. I really hope that this is not medical issue. 

Hey. I am so sorry to hear this, but I think that is pretty obvious that your dog is depressed. Sometimes I am really sad because it is so hard to know for sure what it is, because pets can’t talk and tell us about their fillings. Sometimes, I am sad because there are no test to tell us what are the main things that cause depression in dogs. So, that is why it is really important to see a vet whenever your dog has some changes in behavior. Vet is the only one who can see is this a medical issue or not.  

I’d say that the most common trigger is when a dog gets separated from his owner. You’ll often see dogs whose owners have died very depressed and refusing to socialize with other people. It breaks my heart. 

Sometimes, when you have two dogs they get so used to each other that they feel very lonely when one of them is gone. That can lead to depression too. Especially if they were together all the time. 

This happened to my friend’s dog. She had a 10 year old Labrador and when he died, her younger dog was depressed for almost a month.

Hey I definitely do agree. The worse thing is when you separate a dog from his owner. That is really traumatic moment for a dog, and sometimes, he will not survive in this case :/ That is really sad. The second thing is when your dog doesn’t have any company, when he is alone, when you are leaving him in the house alone for whole day. Sometimes, that is the main cause of depression in dog. You just don’t pay attention on him, you leave food for him whole day – that is not ok. You should be with your dog as much as you can…

That’s true. The most common reason is when they’re left out or separated from their owners. Just go to the animal shelter and notice how some dogs are not at all cheerful, they don’t wanna play, they just sit in one corner and are completely de-socialized.

But that’s normal and you can notice that behavior among other pets too. Even cats get depressed when they are long time apart from their owners. You would never think that since they seem so independent.

And you know what else might cause depression? Lack of attention. When a dog who is used to get all the attention in the world is being ignored by his owner, he might become depressed too. 

There are so many reasons why a dog can be depressed but I will try to categorize them in groups. So here we go. There is:

1.Abuse. This is maybe the main depression trigger. If a dog suffers violence every day it’s only the matter of time when it will affect his mood and his behavior. Then, there’s

2.  Clinical Depression. If there is no other reason, it may just be a chemical imbalance.

3.Death.  If the dog’s owner passes away, the dog may become depressed. 

4. Depressed owner: If you suffer from depression, it could affect your dog.

5. Environment:. If you move to a new home it can also affect your dog.

6. Loneliness: If your dog is at home, alone all day, he can become depressed

7. Medical Conditions

Etc.

Uh, that’s a pretty delicate situation as you adopted him from shelter and don’t know his history.

Rubylock presented all of depression causes and you need to check them one by one. First, and the thing you can resolve the easiest, is the lack of attention. Spend more time with your dog, play with him and see what will happen. If you are moody, this will help you as well. The next step is the visit to the vet to check his medical condition.

If nothing helps you should consider getting one more dog to accompany your depressed one. Just be sure they can get along.

Good luck.

Hi there. I must say that you are totally right. Two years ago, my brother was moving into other country. I was totally sure that he is going to take his dog with him, but no…I was not there, I was away from my country as well, so he decide to give his dog to the shelter. When he told me this, I was really mad at him. Stupid thinking, right?
So, almost one month ago, I went into shelter, and I have decide to “adopt” this dog. God, he was so sad, I was thinking that he is going to die very soon. Now, he is pretty much ok, but I think that he will never be the same. He has one hour in the day, when he is in one corner, he is sad. But, I am glad that he is with me.