Ok, I have been running about 6 weeks and for the life of me I could figure out why I could get over 20 minutes at about 4.o mph without wanting to die. So me and all my wisdom start looking at my treadmill..I have it set on the steppest incline..SOOO last night I level it and ran like I had never run before.. I feel like such a m***n but I guess it might have been benficial to run like that.

I have a question for those that run on a treadmill...does yours stink?? Sounds like a crazy question but mine sticks up my bedroom. IT's smells horrible like sweaty sock..HORRIBLE stinch and I dont sweat theat much so I doubt it's sweat dripping off of me and making it smell. Am I the only weird one here ??LOL IF I am that ok I'm perfectly happy

Thanks

Hey, at least you can run on a treadmill! I'm so uncoordinated that I feel like I'm going to fly off the darn thing. That, and even at level, it's harder for me than running outside!

And move that treadmill to the basement!

My office stinks as well after my runs...for the record, I don't stink either...I keep a fan going at all times and that seems to help a bit. Other than that, I don't there's much you can do. Oh, and just think of the workouts you've been having with that steep incline???!!!! 8O You may be on to something...

6 weeks at max incline.. you must have calves of steel! Personally, I keep the treadmill incline pretty minimal, any hill work I'd rather be outside for.
As for the smell, I gotta wonder if there's something in the motor or belt that's not wearing right. Does it ever get a "tune-up"? Shelfie's fan idea is the way to go too, if not for the smell, for helping keep you cool.

I'm going to go with the "something wrong with the treadmill" theory. Belt? Motor? Usually those items would have a distinct electrical smell though. Do you have pets? Maybe one of them used it for a litter box or maybe a mouse crawled up in there and died (you never know) and the heat from the motor is making the smell worse.

HA! I've just found a new insult! What crawled up your treadmill and died?!

You probably are sweating more that you realize. Take some old towels and some Windex. Spray the thing and wipe it down. Clean everything but the belt. Use one of the old towels to clean under the belt. With the treadmill off, stick the towel all the way under the belt, so that you have towel on both sides. Turn it on to the lowest setting, and keep it level :wink and let the belt do a couple of turns. Pretty nasty stuff down there.
Would even be good to wipe it down after every use. Sounds like a sign at your local gym, doesn't it?

I'm not sure about the stink thing, but as far as the incline goes, you might consider bumping it up just a couple of notches. It will be more similar to what you'd find on an outside run. Completely flat runs on your mill will create a tougher transition to the outdoors.

Welcome! Actually I always thought the rubber they use for the running surface was just naturally stinky! Yes, dirty athletic socks do come to mind.

Mine stinks like BO, only when the sun is shining on it in my room. I think it's the plastic. Some plastics just have a nasty smell.