Hello, my father is 67 years old and unfortunately, his heart issue has just become worse. He has been dealing with angina pectoris for almost 5 years now and kept it under control with meds. Still, it seems that his coronary arteries have become obstructed and that has to be taken care of with angioplasty. What I want to know is for how long can you be at risk of restenosis following angioplasty?

Well, thanks to the new technologies, there is a good chance he will not have to fear restenosis. New stent products, even though also made of metal are now coated with substances that will help prevent the restenosis. They also prevent the swelling of the surrounding tissue because of the presence of the stent. Those are so called drug eluting stents and they excrete that substance for a long period.