Hi, I am a mother of a stubborn teenage kid who is in a big problem now. He has been diagnosed with a celiac disease and he should already be on a strict diet, but I just cannot convince him that he cannot eat everything now and that he will have to take care about that for the rest of his life. What can happen if you left untreated celiac disease?

Perhaps he is having difficulties in accepting the truth and tries to avoid it. This means that he will need all the help he can get to realize the seriousness of the situation. The sooner he does that the better. And of course, all those symptoms that made you take him to the doctor in the first place will be gone soon. But please, make him understand as soon as possible.

Hi There,
I know that celiac disease is another name for gluten allergy. You have to understand that gluten allergy will give you problems that will cause many issues with your digestive system. You have to understand that his diet has to change in order not to have any problems. I know that gluten is found in many dishes so you have to be careful when it comes to diet. He has to understand that this will influence negatively on his life. If he wants to have a normal life he has to avoid gluten. I hope that this helped you in any possible way. And change his diet to gluten free.

All the best,
Danella

Hi Verine66, I know your post is over a year old but I was curious as to how your son is? Is he following a gluten-free diet yet? I don't know if you need any answers but I am a celiac and have been for 5 years. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Left untreated - it can become a serious health problem if not already.

It is more than a gluten allergy - it is an autoimmune response and can ultimately be detrimental to our health to ingest any amounts of gluten