My niece appears to have celiac. As you can understand, we are all so worried about her! She has been put on a gluten free diet for now, as well as receiving medication. What are the developmental problems that affect children with celiac? And is there anything that we can try to help her to develop correctly? My niece is 18 months old at the moment, if that is relevant.

Celiac is a tricky disease to deal with! It tends to make both children and their parents very miserable! Loose stools and vomit are one of the more unpleasant sides of celiac, and I really feel for your niece’s parents! There is good news though! Once celiac has been diagnosed, and the patient’s diet adjusted, the symptoms, including “failure to thrive” normally totally go away. There is no need to believe that your niece will suffer from further developmental problems.

Thank you so much for your answer. Does that mean that my niece will be able to come off medication for celiac, and will be able to eat anything she wants later on? You have no idea how difficult itr is to avoid gluten – they are in almost all processed foods, even if they are only traces. It would be really wonderful if my niece would not have to watch her diet so closely when she grows up! Thanks again for your reply.