Hi. I have been training for 3 weeks for a physical fitness test. I have 2 weeks until the test. I have been told that I run like a tank , have bad form and that I need to get faster on my feet. Any suggestions for agility exercises? Also everytime I run, weither its 2 miles or 5 miles, I get shin-splints and my ankles start tingling. Would being lighter on my feet help reduce shin pain?

hi tank (lol)

do u stretch ur calves before u run? running is like any other sport, the more u do it the better u get at it....
Kel

do you do warm ups? maybe warm up a little then do mild stretching. after your run then do a true good stretch session.

are you flopping your feet down? maybe you need to think for on a heel to toe roll? there's a lot to cover on form.

Start doing some short sprints and light speedwork.

Do 4x100 meters and 6x50 meters one day to just practice your flat out speed. (For example, sprint 100 meters four times, with maybe a 45 second rest inbetween each, or less if you feel like you can, and then sprint 50 meters six times, with maybe a 25 second rest inbetween each, or less if you feel like you can. These are short enough that your legs will not fatigue that much, so make sure that you are specifically making your leg turnover very quick and as light as you can.)

Also, if your stride length is to obig (which i guess would make yo ulook like a "tank", just whenever you run from now on run very quick on your feet on purpose, even if it feels funny, until ur problem is fixed.

:D

My first recommendation: SHOES. If you have gone to be fitted by a reputable running store: FABULOUS! It isn't marketing, or gimmicks. I have run in cheap, clearance rack (not made for my style of running) shoes. I suffered from horrible shin splints and knee pain. Almost gave up running. I went and got fitted, they watched me run--and recommended shoes (which I then scoured the clearance racks for. Jrjo here buys his off of Ebay) which saved my shins and my knees and really made running a pleasure instead of drudgery.

Second: Stretch again after you run. Do the alphabet with your toes in the air. Toe taps under your desk throughout the day when you feel them start to get tight.

A little ice and ibuprofen won't hurt either. If they hurt too much, don't run, REST!

*All this from a newbie. So, take it with a grain of salt--and good luck on your fitness test. Is it for a Police Academy or the military???

My fitness test is for ARMY ROTC. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

It's been said alreay, but, to reiterate:

The two most important things to running (for me, at least):

1) A good pair of shoes. Get fitted at a good store for the right kind. They don't have to be the most expensive, but they may be, depending on fit and feel. You'll figure that part out.

2) Stretch - both before AND after. And don't rush the stretching part. Stretching is ultimately better for your body than the running itself.

I look back on past injuries and every one of them could have been avoided. Poor choice of shoes, and lack of stretching. I've learned my lessons!

Good luck!! I hope you kick butt and take names! :wiggle:

avia, you have been training 3 weeks and only have 2 weeks to go till your test so I'm inclined to go along with the general concenses of opinion and take the easy way out: - shoes, light stretching before, stretching and ICE after every training session. I would hold on the 50/100metre sprints unless you have been including something like this in your previous training and even then I would err on the side of caution.
Do you intend to keep running after you pass your physical?
If so, fundamental TECHNIQUE is of the utmost importance EVEN BEFORE RUNNING SHOES. To a great extent your running style is an individual matter and depends largely on your physique. However, the running technique is subject to some mechanical laws which must be followed to secure an energy conserving action and thereby avoiding injury.
avia, I can give you endless drills to improve your technique but you really need someone who can keep a critical eye on you ( you can always jump on a plane and come over this way) and know what the appropiate drill is to correct that particular fault/s.
Lets know how you get on; more than happy to go into more detail if needed

ballet, and im not kidding

pro althetes, idk about pro runners, i dont think they need it

but pro althletes like in football and stuff when they are big and tank-like (you) they take ballet, it helps them to be softer on their feet.

is there any town classes you can take in your spare time?

Ha ha! Ballet? Ok, I'm a girl and I am almost totally against taking ballet. I am more of a hunting and fishing type of gal.

I have really never been 'good' at running. It's just not my thing. The only reason I do it is becaue I have to to be able to comission in the Army. I am starting to kinda enjoy it more, or shall I say accepted the fact that I have to. So its not as much of a pain now.

"That which you can not change, must be endured."

I have improved on my form tremendously since I started but it still could be better. I have been running longer and a little slower while concentrating on my form. I has seemed to help alot, I have already cut 2 min off my run time in the past week.

I do plan on continuing to run after my fitness test, I really dont have a choice because I will be, more than likely, going to basic this summer.

But, the one problem I still have is shin splints. I went to the New Balance store and got fitted and bought a pair of NB 991 and they seem to help a little, but I still get shin pain towards the end of my runs.

I have found that if I basically eat Motrin like its candy... my shins dont hurt that bad.
I'm looking at it as... I'll kill myself now inorder to do well on my run and then I will have a month to recover before I go to basic.

1 week to go! :wiggle:

ice...fill a bucket with ice water and soak for 10 minutes after your runs, or swimming always helps rid of my soreness
mind telling us what you have to run, what you run now, and what your workouts are like now?

good luck on your test!